Intended and Unintended Consequences of Mandatory IFRS Adoption: A Review of Extant Evidence and Suggestions for Future Research
AbstractThis paper discusses empirical evidence on the economic consequences of mandatory International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) adoption in the European Union (EU), and provides suggestions on how future research can add to our understanding of these effects. Based on the stated objectives of the EU's so-called ‘IAS Regulation’, we distinguish between intended and unintended consequences of mandatory IFRS adoption. Empirical research on the intended consequences generally fails to document an increase in the comparability or transparency of financial statements. In contrast, there is rich and almost unanimous evidence of positive effects on capital markets and at the macroeconomic level. We argue that certain research design issues are likely to contribute to this apparent mismatch in findings. The literature investigating unintended consequences of mandatory IFRS adoption is still in its infancy. However, extant empirical evidence and insights from non-IFRS settings suggest that mandatory IFRS adoption has the potential to materially affect contractual outcomes. We conclude that both the intended and the unintended consequences deserve further scrutiny to assess the costs and benefits of mandatory IFRS adoption, and we provide specific guidance for future research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal European Accounting Review.
Volume (Year): 22 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REAR20
Other versions of this item:
- Ulf Brüggemann & Jörg-Markus Hitz & Thorsten Sellhorn, 2012. "Intended and unintended consequences of mandatory IFRS adoption: A review of extant evidence and suggestions for future research," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2012-011, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- G38 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- K12 - Law and Economics - - Basic Areas of Law - - - Contract Law
- K22 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law - - - Business and Securities Law
- K34 - Law and Economics - - Other Substantive Areas of Law - - - Tax Law
- M41 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - Accounting
- M48 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - Government Policy and Regulation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shackelford, Douglas A. & Shevlin, Terry, 2001. "Empirical tax research in accounting," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-3), pages 321-387, September.
- Schleicher, Thomas & Tahoun, Ahmed & Walker, Martin, 2010. "IFRS adoption in Europe and investment-cash flow sensitivity: Outsider versus insider economies," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 143-168, June.
- Mary E. Barth & Wayne R. Landsman & Mark H. Lang, 2008. "International Accounting Standards and Accounting Quality," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 467-498, 06.
- Karl A. Muller, III & Edward J. Riedl & Thorsten Sellhorn, 2011. "Mandatory Fair Value Accounting and Information Asymmetry: Evidence from the European Real Estate Industry," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 57(6), pages 1138-1153, June.
- Beuselinck, C.A.C. & Joos, P.P.M. & Khurana, I.K. & Meulen, S. van der, 2010. "Mandatory IFRS Reporting and Stock Price Informativeness," Discussion Paper 2010-82, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Beneish, Messod D. & Yohn, Teri Lombardi, 2008. "Information friction and investor home bias: A perspective on the effect of global IFRS adoption on the extent of equity home bias," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 433-443.
- Laura Márquez-Ramos, 2011.
"European Accounting Harmonisation: Consequences of IFRS Adoption on Trade in Goods and Foreign Direct Investments,"
2011/08, Economics Department, Universitat Jaume I, Castellón (Spain).
- Laura Márquez-Ramos, 2011. "European Accounting Harmonization: Consequences of IFRS Adoption on Trade in Goods and Foreign Direct Investments," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 47(0), pages 42-57, September.
- Joseph Aharony & Ran Barniv & Haim Falk, 2010. "The Impact of Mandatory IFRS Adoption on Equity Valuation of Accounting Numbers for Security Investors in the EU," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 535-578.
- Hongping Tan & Shiheng Wang & Michael Welker, 2011. "Analyst Following and Forecast Accuracy After Mandated IFRS Adoptions," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(5), pages 1307-1357, December.
- Arya, Anil & Glover, Jonathan & Mittendorf, Brian & Narayanamoorthy, Ganapathi, 2005. "Unintended consequences of regulating disclosures: The case of Regulation Fair Disclosure," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 243-252.
- Adam D. Dixon & Ashby H. B. Monk, 2009. "The power of finance: accounting harmonization's effect on pension provision," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(5), pages 619-639, September.
- Mary Barth & Wayne Landsman, 2010. "How did Financial Reporting Contribute to the Financial Crisis?," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 399-423.
- Smith, Clifford Jr. & Warner, Jerold B., 1979. "On financial contracting : An analysis of bond covenants," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 117-161, June.
- de Jong, A. & Rosellón, M. & Verwijmeren, P., 2006. "The Economic Consequences of IFRS: The Impact of IAS 32 on Preference Shares in the Netherlands," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2006-021-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Juan Manuel García Lara & Beatriz García Osma & Belén Gill de Albornoz Noguer, 2006. "Effects of database choice on international accounting research," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 42(3-4), pages 426-454.
- Holthausen, Robert W. & Leftwich, Richard W., 1983. "The economic consequences of accounting choice implications of costly contracting and monitoring," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 77-117, April.
- Beyer, Anne & Cohen, Daniel A. & Lys, Thomas Z. & Walther, Beverly R., 2010. "The financial reporting environment: Review of the recent literature," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2-3), pages 296-343, December.
- Shiheng Wang & Michael Welker, 2011. "Timing Equity Issuance in Response to Information Asymmetry Arising from IFRS Adoption in Australia and Europe," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 257-307, 03.
- Hans B. Christensen & Edward Lee & Martin Walker, 2009. "Do IFRS Reconciliations Convey Information? The Effect of Debt Contracting," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(5), pages 1167-1199, December.
- Barth, Mary E. & Clinch, Greg & Shibano, Toshi, 1999. "International accounting harmonization and global equity markets1," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1-3), pages 201-235, January.
- Stefano Cascino & Joachim Gassen, 2012. "Comparability Effects of Mandatory IFRS Adoption," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2012-009, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Donal Byard & Ying Li & Yong Yu, 2011. "The Effect of Mandatory IFRS Adoption on Financial Analysts’ Information Environment," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 69-96, 03.
- Holger Daske, 2006. "Economic Benefits of Adopting IFRS or US-GAAP - Have the Expected Cost of Equity Capital Really Decreased?," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(3-4), pages 329-373.
- Naomi Soderstrom & Kevin Jialin Sun, 2007. "IFRS Adoption and Accounting Quality: A Review," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(4), pages 675-702.
- Brenda van Tendeloo & Ann Vanstraelen, 2005. "Earnings management under German GAAP versus IFRS," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 155-180.
- Joerg-Markus Hitz, 2007. "The Decision Usefulness of Fair Value Accounting - A Theoretical Perspective," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 323-362.
- Leuz, Christian, 2006. "Cross listing, bonding and firms' reporting incentives: A discussion of Lang, Raedy and Wilson (2006)," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1-2), pages 285-299, October.
- Holger Daske & Luzi Hail & Christian Leuz & Rodrigo Verdi, 2008. "Mandatory IFRS Reporting around the World: Early Evidence on the Economic Consequences," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(5), pages 1085-1142, December.
- Atwood, T.J. & Drake, Michael S. & Myers, James N. & Myers, Linda A., 2011. "Do earnings reported under IFRS tell us more about future earnings and cash flows?," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 103-121, March.
- Jeanjean, Thomas & Stolowy, Hervé, 2008. "Do accounting standards matter? An exploratory analysis of earnings management before and after IFRS adoption," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 480-494.
- Thorsten Sellhorn & Sylwia Gornik-Tomaszewski, 2006. "Implications of the 'IAS Regulation' for Research into the International Differences in Accounting Systems," Accounting in Europe, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(1), pages 187-217, October.
- Christensen, Hans B. & Lee, Edward & Walker, Martin, 2007. "Cross-sectional variation in the economic consequences of international accounting harmonization: The case of mandatory IFRS adoption in the UK," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 341-379, December.
- Robert W. Holthausen, 2009. "Accounting Standards, Financial Reporting Outcomes, and Enforcement," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(2), pages 447-458, 05.
- Ningzhong Li, 2010. "Negotiated Measurement Rules in Debt Contracts," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(5), pages 1103-1144, December.
- Joachim Gassen, 2008. "Are stewardship and valuation usefulness compatible or alternative objectives of financial accounting?," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2008-028, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Richard Lambert & Christian Leuz & Robert E. Verrecchia, 2007. "Accounting Information, Disclosure, and the Cost of Capital," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(2), pages 385-420, 05.
- Leuz, Christian & Nanda, Dhananjay & Wysocki, Peter D., 2003. "Earnings management and investor protection: an international comparison," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 505-527, September.
- Rick Cuijpers & Willem Buijink, 2005. "Voluntary adoption of non-local GAAP in the European Union: A study of determinants and consequences," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 487-524.
- Rolf Uwe Fülbier & Joerg-Markus Hitz & Thorsten Sellhorn, 2009. "Relevance of Academic Research and Researchers' Role in the IASB's Financial Reporting Standard Setting," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 45(4), pages 455-492.
- Palea, Vera, 2013. "IAS/IFRS and Financial Reporting Quality: Lessons from the European Experience," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers 201330, University of Turin.
- Fitó, M. Àngels & Moya, Soledad & Orgaz, Neus, 2013. "The debate on rented assets capitalization: The economic impact on family firms," Journal of Family Business Strategy, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 260-269.
- André, Paul & Filip, Andrei & Paugam, Luc, 2013.
"Impact of Mandatory IFRS Adoption on Conditional Conservatism in Europe,"
ESSEC Working Papers
WP1311, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
- Paul André & Andrei Filip & Luc Paugam, 2013. "Impact of Mandatory IFRS Adoption on Conditional Conservatism in Europe," Post-Print hal-00862683, HAL.
- Fülbier, Rolf Uwe & Klein, Malte, 2013. "Financial accounting and reporting in Germany: A case study on German accounting tradition and experiences with the IFRS adoption," Bayreuth Working Papers on Finance, Accounting and Taxation (FAcT-Papers) 2013-01, University of Bayreuth, Chair of Finance and Banking.
- Bozos, Konstantinos & Ratnaike, Yasanji C. & Alsharairi, Malek, 2014. "How has the international harmonization of financial reporting standards affected merger premiums within the European Union?," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 48-60.
- Julien Clavier, 2011. "Transition aux normes comptables IAS/IFRS, discipline de marché et adéquation des fonds propres aux risques dans l'industrie bancaire européenne," Post-Print hal-00646838, HAL.
- Christensen, Hans B. & Hail, Luzi & Leuz, Christian, 2013. "Mandatory IFRS reporting and changes in enforcement," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 147-177.
- Philip Brown, 2013. "Some Observations on Research on the Benefits to Nations of Adopting IFRS," The Japanese Accounting Review, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University, vol. 3, pages 1-19, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.