Determining the Number of Factors and Lag Order in Dynamic Factor Models: A Minimum Entropy Approach
AbstractThis article proposes a solution to one of the issues in the rapidly growing literature on dynamic factor models, i.e., how to determine the optimal number of factors. Our formal test, based upon the canonical correlation procedure related to concepts from information theory, produces estimates of the number of factors and the lag order simultaneously. Simulation experiments illustrate the potential of our approach.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Econometric Reviews.
Volume (Year): 27 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4-6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/LECR20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Helmut Lütkepohl, 2014.
"Structural Vector Autoregressive Analysis in a Data Rich Environment: A Survey,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1351, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Helmut Lütkepohl, 2014. "Structural Vector Autoregressive Analysis in a Data Rich Environment: A Survey," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2014-004, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Jacobs, Jan P.A.M. & Otter, Pieter W. & den Reijer, Ard H.J., 2012.
"Information, data dimension and factor structure,"
Journal of Multivariate Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 106(C), pages 80-91.
- Jan Jacobs & Pieter Otter & Ard den Reijer, 2007. "Information, data dimension and factor structure," DNB Working Papers 150, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Jan P.A.M. Jacobs & Pieter W. Otter & Ard H.J. den Reijer, 2011. "Information, data dimension and factor structure," CAMA Working Papers 2011-15, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Heaton, Chris & Solo, Victor, 2012. "Estimation of high-dimensional linear factor models with grouped variables," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 348-367.
- Tjeerd M. Boonman & Jan P. A. M. Jacobs & Gerard H. Kuper, 2011. "Why didn't the Global Financial Crisis hit Latin America?," CIRANO Working Papers 2011s-63, CIRANO.
- Reijer, Ard H.J. de & Jacobs, Jan P.A.M. & Otter, Pieter W., 2014. "A criterion for the number of factors in a data-rich environment," Research Report 14008-EEF, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.