Technological frontiers and competition in multi-technology sectors
AbstractThis article aims to investigate some conceptual and methodological issues on the measurement of technological change in multi-technology product sectors. It develops a methodological contribution by building a measure of the technological frontier and of firms' technological positioning based on multiple technical characteristics by using data envelopment analysis techniques. The methodology is applied to the study of the technological evolution and competition in the commercial jet aero-engine industry from 1958 to 1997. The empirical analysis shows that: the overall evolution is characterised by technological discontinuities, followed by incremental developments; there is convergence on the technological frontier by all competitors; at the same time, there is persistence of less efficient products over time.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Economics of Innovation and New Technology.
Volume (Year): 14 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1-2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GEIN20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrea Bonaccorsi & Paola Giuri, 1999.
"Network Structure and Industrial Dynamics. The long-term evolution of the aircraft-engine industry,"
LEM Papers Series, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy
1999/06, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Bonaccorsi, Andrea & Giuri, Paola, 2001. "Network structure and industrial dynamics. The long-term evolution of the aircraft-engine industry," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 201-233, July.
- Fried, Harold O. & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Shelton S. (ed.), 1993. "The Measurement of Productive Efficiency: Techniques and Applications," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, number 9780195072181, October.
- Frenken, Koen & Saviotti, Paolo P. & Trommetter, Michel, 1999. "Variety and niche creation in aircraft, helicopters, motorcycles and microcomputers," Research Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 469-488, June.
- Andrea Bonaccorsi & Paola Giuri, 2001. "Learning, technological competition and network structure in the aero-engine industry," LEM Papers Series, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy 2001/11, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Saviotti, P. P. & Metcalfe, J. S., 1984. "A theoretical approach to the construction of technological output indicators," Research Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 141-151, June.
- Uwe Cantner & Jens J. Krüger & Rene Söllner, 2010.
"Product Quality, Product Price, and Share Dynamics in the German Compact Car Market,"
Jena Economic Research Papers, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics
2010-024, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Uwe Cantner & Jens J. Krüger & René Söllner, 2012. "Product quality, product price, and share dynamics in the German compact car market," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(5), pages 1085-1115, October.
- Gilbert, Brett Anitra, 2012. "Creative destruction: Identifying its geographic origins," Research Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 734-742.
- Martini, Gianmaria & Scotti, Davide, 2010.
"Potere di mercato e distribuzione dei profitti nella filiera del trasporto aereo
[Market power and profits distribution in the air transportation vertical channel]," MPRA Paper 24647, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gianmaria Martini & Davide Scotti, 2009. "Potere di mercato e distribuzione dei profitti nella filiera del trasporto aereo," Working Papers 0906, Department of Economics and Technology Management, University of Bergamo.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.