Productivity gains, technology spillovers and trade: Indonesian manufacturing, 1980-96
AbstractThe importance of R&D spillovers for productivity growth has been well documented in the literature. While studies in the developed country context have focused extensively on sectoral linkages, research on North-South spillovers has largely been confined to the aggregate level. This paper assesses the contribution of international R&D spillovers to manufacturing performance in Indonesia at the sectoral level. Drawing on OECD and Indonesian data sources, we consider two distinct phases: a phase characterised by intense policy regulation (1980-87), followed by a phase of liberalisation and reform (1988-96). Our results indicate that international technology spillovers made a significant contribution to the performance of Indonesian manufacturing, especially after liberalisation. The contribution of technology spillovers to productivity change is influenced by sectoral characteristics and industrial market structure.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 41 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CBIE20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bart Los & Bart Verspagen, 2000. "R&D spillovers and productivity: Evidence from U.S. manufacturing microdata," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 127-148.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Jian-Ye Wang, 1992.
"Foreign Investment and Technology Transfer: A Simple Model,"
NBER Working Papers
2958, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wang, Jian-Ye & Blomstrom, Magnus, 1992. "Foreign investment and technology transfer : A simple model," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 137-155, January.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Tom Doan, . "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Frank Lichtenberg, 1998.
"International R&D spillovers comment,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/6233, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Fagerberg, Jan & Verspagen, Bart, 1998.
"Productivity, R&D Spillovers and Trade,"
98.2, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies.
- Jan Fagerberg & Bart Verspagen, 1999. "Productivity, R&D Spillovers and Trade," Working Papers 3, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Fagerberg, Jan & Verspagen, Bart, 1998. "Productivity, R&D Spillovers and Trade," Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series 98.2, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS).
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1987. "A technology gap approach to why growth rates differ," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(2-4), pages 87-99, August.
- G. Cameron, 1996.
"Innovation and economic growth,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
20685, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Thee Kian Wie, 2002. "Competition Policy in Indonesia and the New Anti-Monopoly and Fair Competition Law," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(3), pages 331-342.
- Haryo Aswicahyono, 2000. "How Not to Industrialise? Indonesia's Automotive Industry," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(1), pages 209-241.
- Yang, Chih-Hai & Chen, Ying-Hui, 2012. "R&D, productivity, and exports: Plant-level evidence from Indonesia," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 208-216.
- Warr, Peter G., 2006.
"Productivity Growth in Thailand and Indonesia: How Agriculture Contributes to Economic Growth,"
2006 Conference (50th), February 8-10, 2006, Sydney, Australia
139925, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Peter Warr, 2006. "Productivity Growth in Thailand and Indonesia: How Agriculture Contributes to Economic Growth," Working Papers in Economics and Development Studies (WoPEDS) 200606, Department of Economics, Padjadjaran University, revised Feb 2006.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.