Regional mobility in the European Union
AbstractRegional mobility in the spatial distribution of per capita income in the European Union is examined over the period 1977 to 1999. The methodology used to investigate this issue combines a series of measures taken from the literature devoted to the dynamic study of personal income distribution with a non-parametric analysis. The results show limited mobility in the distribution considered, and a decline in mobility over time. The empirical evidence presented indicates, moreover, that mobility patterns vary as a function of regional development levels. Additionally, the analysis carried out investigates the role played in explaining intra-distribution mobility by variables such as per capita income, population density, per capita expenditure in investment, market potential, and the share in total employment of agriculture, advanced services and non-market services.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 38 (2006)
Issue (Month): 19 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alejandra Trejo, 2011. "Competitiveness And The Regional Efficiency Of The Mexican Service Sector," ERSA conference papers ersa10p196, European Regional Science Association.
- Maza, Adolfo & Hierro, María & Villaverde, José, 2012. "Income distribution dynamics across European regions: Re-examining the role of space," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 2632-2640.
- Novotný, JOSEF, 2011. "Convergence and divergence in living standards among regions of the enlarged European Union (1992-2006)," MPRA Paper 34145, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hierro, Mara & Maza, Adolfo, 2009. "Structural shifts in the dynamics of the European income distribution," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 733-739, May.
- Hierro, María & Maza, Adolfo, 2009. "Non-stationary transition matrices: An overlooked issue in intra-distribution dynamics," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 103(2), pages 107-109, May.
- Adolfo Maza & María Hierro & José Villaverde, 2010. "Measuring intra-distribution income dynamics: an application to the European regions," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 45(2), pages 313-329, October.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Vassilis Tselios, 2009.
"Mapping Regional Personal Income Distribution in Western Europe: Income Per Capita and Inequality,"
Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver),
Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 59(1), pages 41-70, January.
- Rodríguez-Pose, Andrés & Tselios, Vassilis, 2008. "Mapping Regional Personal Income Distribution in Western Europe: Income per Capita and Inequality," Papers DYNREG33, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Mario Holzner, 2012. "The Determinants of Income Polarization on the Household and Country Level across the EU," wiiw Working Papers 93, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.