Foreign direct investment and income convergence
AbstractThe role of foreign direct investment (FDI) in the convergence of income level and growth has been investigated by panel data regressions. Bilateral FDI data from OECD from 1982 to 1997 is used. Income level and growth gaps between source and host countries turn out to decrease as bilateral FDI increases. It is also found that geographical closeness and common language play an important role in convergence in income level and growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 36 (2004)
Issue (Month): 10 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ben-David, Dan & Kimhi, Ayal, 2000.
"Trade And The Rate Of Income Convergence,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2390, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dan Ben-David & Ayal Kimhi, 2001. "Trade and the rate of income convergence," Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 13(4), pages 419-441.
- Lee, M. & Longmire, R. & Matyas, L. & Harris, M., 1996.
"Growth Convergence: Some Panel Data Evidence,"
Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers
14/96, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Razin, A & Yuen, C-W, 1997.
"Income Convergence Within an Economic Union : The Role of Factor Mobility and Coordination,"
13-97, Tel Aviv.
- Razin, Assaf & Yuen, Chi-Wa, 1997. "Income convergence within an economic union: the role of factor mobility and coordination," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 225-245, November.
- Greasley, David & Oxley, Les, 1997. "Time-series based tests of the convergence hypothesis: Some positive results," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 143-147, October.
- Hughes Hallett, A. & Piscitelli, Laura, 2002. "Does trade integration cause convergence?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 165-170, April.
- Lee, Hsiu-Yun & Lin, Kenneth S. & Tsui, Hsiao-Chien, 2009. "Home country effects of foreign direct investment: From a small economy to a large economy," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 1121-1128, September.
- Xu, WeiGuo & Hu, DaiPing & Lei, AiZhong & Shen, HuiZhang, 2008. "FDI chaos and control in China," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 17-28, January.
- Ji Kim, 2005. "Convergence hypothesis of regional income in Korea," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 12(7), pages 431-435.
- Marouane ALAYA (GREThA) & Dalila NICET-CHENAF (GREThA) & Eric ROUGIER (GREThA), 2007.
"FDI Promotion policies and dynamic of growth in the South East Mediterranean countries (In French),"
Cahiers du GREThA
2007-06, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Marouane ALAYA (GREThA-GRES) & Dalila NICET-CHENAF (GREThA-GRES) & Eric ROUGIER (GREThA-GRES), 2007. "FDI Promotion policies and dynamic of growth in the South East Mediterranean countries (In French)," Cahiers du GRES 2007-13, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Alaya MAROUANE (Université of Tunis) & Dalila NICET-CHENAF (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113) & Eric ROUGIER (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113), 2008.
"The law of growth and attraction: an endogenous model of absorptive capacities, FDI and income for MENA countries,"
Cahiers du GREThA
2008-27, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Alaya MAROUANE (Université de Tunis) & Dalila NICET-CHENAF (GREThA-GRES) & Eric ROUGIER (GREThA-GRES), 2008. "The law of growth and attraction: an endogenous model of absorptive capacities, FDI and income for MENA countries," Cahiers du GRES 2008-21, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Shujie Yao, 2006. "On economic growth, FDI and exports in China," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(3), pages 339-351.
- Alexe, Ileana & Tatomir, Cristina F., 2011. "Does economic convergence with the European Union mean more FDI flows to an economy? Analysis on 5 Central and Eastern Europe countries," MPRA Paper 36139, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yao, Shujie & Wei, Kailei, 2007. "Economic growth in the presence of FDI: The perspective of newly industrialising economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 211-234, March.
- Changkyu Choi, 2009. "Does Bilateral Trade Lead To Income Convergence? Panel Evidence," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 34(1), pages 71-79, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.