Using data envelopment analysis to assess macroeconomic policy performance
AbstractIt is common practice to summarize the macroeconomic performance of countries in terms of the four well-known dimensions captured by the magic diamond of the OECD. This study provides a comparison of several synthetic indicators that merge the four separate indicators into one single statistic. These indicators are inspired by Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA)-based models, which allow for unequal weighting of the different economic objectives. The calculated weights then act as proxies for the true policy priorities. Comparison of the models focuses on the underlying assumptions as well as on the empirical results they generate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 33 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kortelainen, Mika, 2008. "Dynamic environmental performance analysis: A Malmquist index approach," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(4), pages 701-715, February.
- Serrao, Amilcar, 2008. "Measuring Eco-efficiency of Agricultural Activity in European Countries: A Malmquist Index Analysis," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6152, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Laurens Cherchye & & Timo Kuosmanen, 2002.
"Benchmarking Sustainable Development: A Synthetic Meta-index Approach,"
0210001, EconWPA, revised 08 Oct 2002.
- Cherchye, Laurens & Kuosmanen, Timo, 2004. "Benchmarking Sustainable Development: A Synthetic Meta-index Approach," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Zhou, P. & Ang, B.W. & Poh, K.L., 2007. "A mathematical programming approach to constructing composite indicators," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 291-297, April.
- Laurens Cherchye & Wim Moesen & Tom Van Puyenbroeck, 2003.
"Legitimately Diverse, yet Comparable: On Synthesising Social Inclusion Performance in the EU,"
Public Economics Working Paper Series
ces0301, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Working Group Public Economics.
- Laurens Cherchye & Wim Moesen & Tom Puyenbroeck, 2004. "Legitimately Diverse, yet Comparable: On Synthesizing Social Inclusion Performance in the EU," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(5), pages 919-955, December.
- Riccardo Natoli & Segu Zuhair, 2011. "Measuring Progress: A Comparison of the GDP, HDI, GS and the RIE," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 103(1), pages 33-56, August.
- Gary Ferrier & Julie Trivitt, 2013. "Incorporating quality into the measurement of hospital efficiency: a double DEA approach," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 337-355, December.
- Hovhannes Toroyan & George C. Anayiotos, 2009. "Institutional Factors and Financial Sector Development," IMF Working Papers 09/258, International Monetary Fund.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2011. "Towards a culture of environmental efficiency: An application of conditional partial nonparametric frontiers," MPRA Paper 28690, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Adler, Nicole & Yazhemsky, Ekaterina & Tarverdyan, Ruzanana, 2010. "A framework to measure the relative socio-economic performance of developing countries," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 73-88, June.
- Tangian, Andranik S., 2005. "Composite indicator of German regional policy and its use for optimizing subsidies to regional labour markets," WSI Discussion Papers 138, Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaftliches Institut (WSI), Hans-Böckler-Stiftung.
- Mohamed Hisham Yahya & Junaina Muhammad & Abdul Razak Abdul Hadi, 2012. "A comparative study on the level of efficiency between Islamic and conventional banking systems in Malaysia," International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 5(1), pages 48-62, April.
- Bellenger, Moriah J. & Herlihy, Alan T., 2009. "An economic approach to environmental indices," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(8-9), pages 2216-2223, June.
- Kibritçioğlu, Aykut, 2007.
"Türkiye’deki Hükümetlerin Makroekonomik Performanslarının Bir Karşılaştırması, 1987-2007
[A Comparison of Macroeconomic Performances of Governments in Turkey, 1987-2007]," MPRA Paper 3962, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sahoo, Biresh K. & Acharya, Debashis, 2010. "An alternative approach to monetary aggregation in DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 204(3), pages 672-682, August.
- Bosetti, Valentina & Buchner, Barbara, 2009. "Data Envelopment Analysis of different climate policy scenarios," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(5), pages 1340-1354, March.
- Mika Kortelainen & Timo Kuosmanen, 2004. "Measuring Eco-efficiency of Production: A Frontier Approach," Econometrics 0411006, EconWPA.
- Hassen Gaaloul & Soulef Khalfallah, 2014. "Application of the “Benefit-Of-the-Doubt” Approach for the Construction of a Digital Access Indicator: A Revaluation of the “Digital Access Index”," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 118(1), pages 45-56, August.
- Chun-Chu Liu, 2006. "Simulating weight restrictions in data envelopment analysis using the subjective and objective integrated approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(21), pages 2545-2552.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.