Statistical modelling of asymmetric risk in asset returns
AbstractThe purpose of this article is to provide a straightforward model for asset returns which captures the fundamental asymmetry in upward versus downward returns. We model this feature by using scale gamma distributions for the conditional distributions of positive and negative returns. By allowing the parameters for positive returns to differ from parameters for negative returns we can test the hypothesis of symmetry. Some applications of this process to expected utility and semi-variance calculations are considered. Finally we estimate the model using daily UK FT100 index and Futures data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Applied Mathematical Finance.
Volume (Year): 2 (1995)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=100141
Other versions of this item:
- Knight, J.L. & Stachell, S.E. & Tran, K.C., 1995. "Statistical Modeling of Asymetric Risk in Asset Returns," Papers 95-3, Saskatchewan - Department of Economics.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Stefania D'Amico, 2005. "Density selection and combination under model ambiguity: an application to stock returns," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2005-09, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Stefania D'Amico, 2004. "Density Estimation and Combination under Model Ambiguity," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 273, Society for Computational Economics.
- Chu, Ba & Knight, John & Satchell, Stephen, 2011. "Large deviations theorems for optimal investment problems with large portfolios," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 211(3), pages 533-555, June.
- Davies, G.B. & Satchell, S.E., 2004. "The Behavioural Components of Risk Aversion," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0458, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Davies, G.B. & Satchell, S.E., 2004. "Continuous Cumulative Prospect Theory and Individual Asset Allocation," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0467, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Emmanuel Acar & Stephen Satchell, 1997. "A theoretical analysis of trading rules: an application to the moving average case with Markovian returns," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 4(3), pages 165-180.
- Skouras, Spyros, 2007.
"Decisionmetrics: A decision-based approach to econometric modelling,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 137(2), pages 414-440, April.
- Spyros Skouras, 2001. "Decisionmetrics: A Decision-Based Approach to Econometric Modeling," Working Papers 01-11-064, Santa Fe Institute.
- Stephen Satchell & George Christodoulakis, 1996.
"The Simulation of Option Prices with Application to LIFFE Options on Futures,"
Archive Working Papers
007, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Christodoulakis, George A. & Satchell, Stephen E., 1999. "The simulation of option prices with application to LIFFE options on futures," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 249-262, April.
- Alessio Sancetta, 2004.
"Copula Based Monte Carlo Integration in Financial Problems,"
wp04-02, Warwick Business School, Financial Econometrics Research Centre.
- Sancetta, A., 2005. "Copula Based Monte Carlo Integration in Financial Problems," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0506, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Stephen E. Satchell & Shaun A. Bond, 2004. "Asymmetry, Loss Aversion and Forecasting," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 160, Econometric Society.
- Hwang, Soosung & Pedersen, Christian S., 2004. "Asymmetric risk measures when modelling emerging markets equities: evidence for regional and timing effects," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 109-128, March.
- John Knight & Colin Lizieri & Stephen Satchell, 2005. "Diversification When It Hurts? The Joint Distributions of Real Estate and Equity Markets," Real Estate & Planning Working Papers rep-wp2005-16, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Shaun Bond & Stephen Satchell, 2006. "Asymmetry and downside risk in foreign exchange markets," European Journal of Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 313-332.
- Stephen Satchell & David Damant & Soosung Hwang, 2000. "Exponential risk measure with application to UK asset allocation," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 127-152.
- Farah, N. & Satchell, S.E., 2003. "A Loss Aversion Performance Measure," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0333, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.