An optimizing framework for the glide paths of life cycle asset allocation funds
AbstractIn choosing a glide path strategy for asset allocation over their working lives, retirement savers face a trade-off between the higher expected wealth provided by strategies that maintain or increase equity holdings over time and the greater potential security offered from shifting into more conservative assets. We quantify this trade-off with an expected utility framework for our simulated distribution of target-date wealth accumulations under a variety of life cycle, fixed and contrarian glide path strategies. We find justification for the life cycle strategy for savers with very reasonable amounts of risk aversion, and we also provide guidance about utility-maximizing glide paths.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 18 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/routledge/13504851.html
Other versions of this item:
- Wade D. Pfau, 2009. "An Optimizing Framework for the Glide Paths of Lifecycle Asset Allocation Funds," GRIPS Discussion Papers 09-16, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- D14 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Personal Finance
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G23 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Non-bank Financial Institutions; Financial Instruments; Institutional Investors
You can help add them by filling out this form.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Should Retirees Increase Stock Allocations as they get Older and Older?
by Wade Pfau in Pensions, Retirement Planning, and Economics Blog on 2011-07-21 02:38:00
- "Dynamic Allocation Strategies for Distribution Portfolios: Determining the Optimal Distribution Glide Path"
by Wade Pfau in Pensions, Retirement Planning, and Economics Blog on 2011-07-17 23:58:00
- Kumara, Ajantha Sisira & Pfau, Wade Donald, 2011. "Lifecycle and fixed portfolio allocation strategies: a performance comparison for emerging market countries," MPRA Paper 31389, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 10 Jun 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.