Location, agglomeration and infrastructure
AbstractIn this article we discuss the relationships between transportation infrastructure, firm location, agglomeration and regional development. We will argue that the spatial transaction costs faced by modern firms have changed over recent decades, and that this has changed the ways in which transportation infrastructure contributes to form location behaviour and regional economic development. Therefore, in order to analyse these issues, it is necessary to consider the spatial transaction costs faced by modern firms and to investigate the conditions under which reductions in these costs due to infrastructure improvements will allow firms to move. These complex relationships are seen to be mediated via different geography-firm-organisation structures and consideration of these is essential for any realistic evaluation of the role of transportation infrastructure. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin/Heidelberg 2003
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Papers in Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 83 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/10110/index.htm
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bernard Fingleton, 2005. "Towards applied geographical economics: modelling relative wage rates, incomes and prices for the regions of Great Britain," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(21), pages 2417-2428.
- Daniel Shefer, 2011. "The Center-periphery Dilemma and the Issue of Equity in Regional Development," ERSA conference papers ersa11p1192, European Regional Science Association.
- Ryusuke Ihara & Tomohiro Machikita, 2007. "Voting for highway construction in economic geography," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 41(4), pages 951-966, December.
- Philip Mccann, 2006. "On the supply-side determinants of regional growth," Construction Management and Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(7), pages 681-693.
- Simona Iammarino & Philip McCann, 2006.
"The Structure and Evolution of Industrial Clusters: Transactions, Technology and Knowledge Spillovers,"
SPRU Working Paper Series
138, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex.
- Iammarino, Simona & McCann, Philip, 2006. "The structure and evolution of industrial clusters: Transactions, technology and knowledge spillovers," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1018-1036, September.
- Rodríguez-Pose, Andrés & Tselios, Vassilis, 2008.
"Inequalities in Income and Education and Regional Economic Growth in Western Europe,"
DYNREG34, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Vassilis Tselios, 2010. "Inequalities in income and education and regional economic growth in western Europe," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 349-375, April.
- Peña Sánchez, A.R., 2008. "La distribución regional del capital productivo empresarial en España: Factores determinantes," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 26, pages 277-302, Septiembr.
- Johansson, Börje & Forslund, Ulla, 2005.
"The Analysis of Location, Co-location and Urbanisation Economics,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation
46, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Johansson, Börje & Forslund, Ulla, 2006. "The Analysis Of Location, Co-Location And Urbanisation Economies," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 67, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- C. Dembour, 2008. "Competition for Business Location: A Survey," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 89-111, June.
- McCann, Philip & Arita, Tomokazu, 2006. "Clusters and regional development: Some cautionary observations from the semiconductor industry," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 157-180, June.
- Marletto, Gerardo, 2009. "Transalpine transport policies: towards a shared approach," MPRA Paper 26601, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2010.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.