Prosperity properties of TU-games
AbstractAn important open problem in the theory of TU-games is to determine whether a game has a stable core (Von Neumann-Morgenstern solution (1944)). This seems to be a rather difficult combinatorial problem. There are many sufficient conditions for core-stability. Convexity is probably the best known of these properties. Other properties implying stability of the core are subconvexity and largeness of the core (two properties introduced by Sharkey (1982)) and a property that we have baptized extendability and is introduced by Kikuta and Shapley (1986). These last three properties have a feature in common: if we start with an arbitrary TU-game and increase only the value of the grand coalition, these properties arise at some moment and are kept if we go on with increasing the value of the grand coalition. We call such properties prosperity properties. In this paper we investigate the relations between several prosperity properties and their relation with core-stability. By counter examples we show that all the prosperity properties we consider are different.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal International Journal of Game Theory.
Volume (Year): 28 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Note: Received: June 1998/Revised version: December 1998
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00182/index.htm
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Shellshear, Evan & Sudhölter, Peter, 2009. "On core stability, vital coalitions, and extendability," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 633-644, November.
- Pedro Calleja & Carles Rafels & Stef Tijs, 2006. "The Aggregate-Monotonic Core," Working Papers 280, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- van Velzen, Bas & Hamers, Herbert & Solymosi, Tamas, 2008.
"Core stability in chain-component additive games,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 116-139, January.
- Arantza Estevez-Fernandez, 2011. "New Characterizations for Largeness of the Core," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 11-086/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Arantza Estevez-Fernandez, 2011.
"New Characterizations for Largeness of the Core,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
11-086/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Calleja, Pedro & Rafels, Carles & Tijs, Stef, 2009. "The aggregate-monotonic core," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 742-748, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.