A Model of a General Parimutuel System: Characterizations and Equilibrium Selection
AbstractWe formulate a model of a parimutuel system which considers a horse race with two horses. In our model, the raceholder offers a rate of his total betting revenue in the first stage. In the second stage each bettor simultaneously decides whether he bets one unit of money on one horse or he withdraws, according to his win predictions for each horse. We assume that all bettor's predictions are different and are common knowledge. We define some types of equilibria in the second stage game and give necessary and sufficient conditions for their existence. One equilibrium is a selected as a solution for the second stage game. We also define a solution for the whole game by using this result. Finally, we analyze the relation between the solution and variance for the bettor predictions.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal International Journal of Game Theory.
Volume (Year): 23 (1994)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00182/index.htm
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Koessler, Frédéric & Noussair, Charles & Ziegelmeyer, Anthony, 2008.
"Parimutuel betting under asymmetric information,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(7-8), pages 733-744, July.
- Frédéric KOESSLER & Anthony ZIEGELMEYER, 2002. "Parimutuel Betting under Asymmetric Information," Working Papers of BETA 2002-17, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Frederic Koessler & Charles Noussair & Anthony Ziegelmeyer, 2006. "Parimutuel Betting under Asymmetric Information," Papers on Strategic Interaction 2006-05, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Strategic Interaction Group.
- Frederic Koessler & Anthony Ziegelmeyer, 2004. "Parimutuel Betting under Asymmetric Information," Papers on Strategic Interaction 2003-34, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Strategic Interaction Group.
- Feeney, R. & King, S.P., 2000.
"Sequential Parimutuel Games,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
736, The University of Melbourne.
- Frédéric Koessler & Anthony Ziegelmeyer & Marie-Hélène Broihanne, 2003.
"The Favorite-Longshot Bias in Sequential Parimutuel Betting with Non-Expected Utility Players,"
Theory and Decision,
Springer, vol. 54(3), pages 231-248, May.
- Frédéric KOESSLER & Anthony ZIEGELMEYER & Marie-Hélène BROIHANNE, 2002. "The Favorite-Longshot Bias in Sequential parimutuel Betting with Non-Expected Utility Players," Working Papers of BETA 2002-12, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.