Excess price volatility and financial innovation
AbstractIn a three-period finite exchange economy with incomplete financial markets and retrading, we study the effects of the degree of incompleteness and of changes in the financial structure on asset price volatility. In what are essentially no aggregate risk economies, asset price volatility is a sunspot-like phenomenon. If markets are completed by financial innovation, asset price volatility reduction is generic. With aggregate risk, changes in the financial structure affect asset price volatility through a pecuniary externality. Financial innovation which decreases equilibrium price volatility can be crafted under conditions of sufficient market incompleteness. Numerical examples illustrate the role of risk aversion for volatility changes and show that, with or without aggregate risk, reducing the degree of incompleteness per se is not necessarily associated with a volatility reduction. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin/Heidelberg 2005
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 26 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Herrera, Helios, 2005.
"Sorting in risk-aversion and asset price volatility,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(4-5), pages 557-570, August.
- Helios Herrera, 2005. "Sorting in Risk-Aversion and Asset Price Volatility," Levine's Bibliography 172782000000000083, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Rosser Jr., J. Barkley, 2010. "Is a transdisciplinary perspective on economic complexity possible?," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 3-11, July.
- Hervé Crès & Tobias Markeprand & Mich Tvede, 2009. "Incomplete Financial Markets and Jumps in Asset Prices," Discussion Papers 09-12, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- William Brock & Cars Hommes & Florian Wagener, 2006.
"More Hedging Instruments may destablize Markets,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
06-080/1, Tinbergen Institute, revised 30 Apr 2008.
- Brock, W.A. & Hommes, C.H. & Wagener, F.O.O., 2006. "More hedging instruments may destabilize markets," CeNDEF Working Papers 06-12, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Florian Wagener & Cars Hommes & William Brock, 2006. "More hedging instruments may destabilize markets," Working Papers wp06-11, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Bhamra, Harjoat Singh & Uppal, Raman, 2006. "The Effect of Introducing a Non-redundant Derivative on the Volatility of Stock-Market Returns," CEPR Discussion Papers 5726, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Brock, W.A. & Hommes, C.H. & Wagener, F.O.O., 2008. "More hedging instruments may destabilize markets (Revised version, April 2008)," CeNDEF Working Papers 08-04, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Bernard Cornet & Abhishek Ranjan, 2013. "Equilibria in a multi-period economy," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 13021, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Bernard Cornet & Abhishek Ranjan, 2013. "Equilibria in a multi-period economy," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00801402, HAL.
- Laura Angeloni & Bernard Cornet, 2005. "Existence Of Financial Equilibria In A Multiperiod Stochastic Economy," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 200506, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Feb 2005.
- William Brock & Cars Hommes & Florian Wagener, 2006. "More Hedging Instruments may destablize Markets," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 06-080/1, Tinbergen Institute, revised 30 Apr 2008.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.