Incomplete Financial Markets and Jumps in Asset Prices
AbstractA dynamic pure-exchange general equilibrium model with uncertainty is studied. Fundamentals are supposed to depend continuously on states of nature. It is shown that: 1. if financial markets are complete, then asset prices vary continuously with states of nature, and; 2. if financial markets are incomplete, jumps in asset prices may be unavoidable. Consequently incomplete financial markets may increase volatility in asset prices significantly.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 09-12.
Length: 15 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 26, DK-1353 Copenhagen K., Denmark
Phone: (+45) 35 32 30 10
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk
More information through EDIRC
general equilibrium; financial markets; jumps in asset prices;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D52 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Incomplete Markets
- D53 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Financial Markets
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-08-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2009-08-02 (Central Banking)
- NEP-DGE-2009-08-02 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-MIC-2009-08-02 (Microeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Enrique Covarrubias, 2010.
"The Equilibrium Set of Economies with a Continuous Consumption Space,"
2010-10, Banco de México.
- Covarrubias, Enrique, 2011. "The equilibrium set of economies with a continuous consumption space," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 137-142, March.
- Enrique Covarrubias, 2007.
"Regular Infinite Economies,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
843644000000000034, David K. Levine.
- Covarrubias, Enrique, 2008. "Determinacy of equilibria of smooth infinite economies," MPRA Paper 9437, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Enrique Covarrubias, 2010. "Regular Infinite Economies," Working Papers 2010-03, Banco de México.
- Covarrubias, Enrique, 2008.
"The number of equilibria of smooth infinite economies with separable utilities,"
11099, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Covarrubias, Enrique, 2013. "The number of equilibria of smooth infinite economies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 263-265.
- Enrique Covarrubias, 2011. "The Number of Equilibria of Smooth Infinite Economies," Working Papers 2011-02, Banco de México.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Hoffmann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.