Generic inefficiency of equilibria in the general equilibrium model with incomplete asset markets and infinite time
AbstractWe consider a Lucas asset-pricing model with heterogeneous agents, exogenous labor income, and a finite number of exogenous shocks. Although agents are infinitely lived, endowments and dividends are time-invariant functions of the exogenous shock alone and are thus restricted to lie in a finite-dimensional space; genericity analysis can be conducted on sets of zero Lebesgue measure. When financial markets are incomplete, that is, there are fewer financial securities than shocks, we show that generically in individual endowments all competitive equilibria are Pareto inefficient. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2003
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 22 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (08)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- JEL - Labor and Demographic Economics - - - - -
- Cla - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - - - -
- Num - Economic History - - - - -
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
- D50 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - General
- D52 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Incomplete Markets
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chiaki Hara, 2009. "Effectively Complete Asset Markets with Multiple Goods and over Multiple Periods," KIER Working Papers 685, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Krebs, Tom, 2004.
"Non-existence of recursive equilibria on compact state spaces when markets are incomplete,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 134-150, March.
- Tom Krebs, 2002. "Non-Existence of Recursive Equilibria on Compact State Spaces When Markets are Incomplete," Working Papers 2002-17, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Felix KUBLER & Karl SCHMEDDERS, .
"Non-parametric counterfactual analysis in dynamic general equilibrium,"
Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series
09-05, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Felix Kubler & Karl Schmedders, 2010. "Non-parametric counterfactual analysis in dynamic general equilibrium," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 181-200, October.
- Felix Kubler & Karl Schmedders, 2007. "Non-parametric counterfactual analysis in dynamic general equilibrium," PIER Working Paper Archive 07-027, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.