Justifying Human Rights: Economics and the Individual
AbstractThis paper examines the relationship between the individual conception in economics and the justification of economic rights as human rights. It briefly describes the nature of economic rights, and argues that the Homo economicus conception constitutes a barrier to justifying them. The paper then offers an alternative conception of the individual as socially embedded, and argues that it offers an adequate basis for the justification of economic rights. On this alternative conception individuals are enduring beings who have personal identities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Forum for Social Economics.
Volume (Year): 38 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/12143
Other versions of this item:
- John Davis, 2009. "Justifying Human Rights: Economics and the Individual," Forum for Social Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(1), pages 79-89, January.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shareen Hertel & Lanse Minkler, 2007. "Economic Rights: The Terrain," Economic Rights Working Papers 1, University of Connecticut, Human Rights Institute.
- John B Davis & Solange Regina Marin, 2009. "Identity and Democracy: Linking individual and social reasoning," Development, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 52(4), pages 500-508, December.
- Shane Frederick & George Loewenstein & Ted O'Donoghue, 2002. "Time Discounting and Time Preference: A Critical Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 40(2), pages 351-401, June.
- Don Ross, 2007. "Economic Theory and Cognitive Science: Microexplanation," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262681684, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.