An International Study of Persistence in Output: Parametric Estimates using the Data Dependent Systems Approach
AbstractThis paper parametrically obtains estimates of persistence in output using Pandit's (1977, 1982) Data Dependent Systems approach for modeling autoregressive and moving average processes. The estimates are based on over a century of annual data for the rate of change of output in nine industrialized countries. The sensitivity of estimates to various model selection criteria is examined. While persistence in output is found to be sensitive to model selection criteria , the output of all countries including the United States is found to have a substantial degree of persistence if the ARMA models are chosen according to the Schwarz Bayesian Criterion, but excluding the ARMA models whose moving average roots are near the unit root (which involves pile-up phenomenon). Moreover, the parametric estimates of persistence are shown not to have the known upward bias problem commonly associated with parametric estimates of persistence relative to non-parametric estimates.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Empirical Economics.
Volume (Year): 18 (1993)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00181/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mamata Parhi & Tapas Mishra, 2008.
"Spatial Growth Volatility and Age-structured Human Capital Dynamics in Europe,"
Working Papers of BETA
2008-04, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Parhi, Mamata & Mishra, Tapas, 2009. "Spatial growth volatility and age-structured human capital dynamics in Europe," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 102(3), pages 181-184, March.
- Nagakura, Daisuke, 2008. "A note on the two assumptions of standard unobserved components models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 123-125, July.
- Mishra, Tapas & Jumah, Adusei & Parhi, Mamata, 2008. "Age-structured Human Capital and Spatial Total Factor Productivity Dynamics," Economics Series 226, Institute for Advanced Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.