A Non-linear Dynamic Model of Spatial Economic Development and R&D Policy
AbstractThis paper addresses the issue of economic development from the perspective of productivity increases generated by technological progress emerging from R&D expenditures. The long-run evolutionary path of spatial systems (countries, regions, cities etc.) is analyzed by means of a multi-regional dynamic (discrete-time) model incorporating the spatial transfer of technological change. While a positive feedback exists between R&D and economic growth, the production of new technology itself exhibits decreasing returns. Moreover, capacity constraints also limit growth. The stability conditions associated with R&D and innovation diffusion are extensively studied. It will be demonstrated that the system concerned can generate a wide range of dynamic behavior, including chaotic evolutions of the May-type. Simulations illustrate this. For example, economic fluctuations can be amplified through innovation diffusion.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Annals of Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 25 (1991)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00168/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nijkamp, P. & Reggiani, A., 1990. "Spatio-temporal processes in dynamic logit models," Serie Research Memoranda 0063, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Nijkamp, P. & Reggiani, A., 1992. "Non linear evolution of dynamic spatial systems : lessons from chaos and niche theory," Serie Research Memoranda 0066, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Luís A. Aguirre & Antônio Aguirre, 1995.
"A tutorial introduction to nonlinear dynamics in economics,"
Textos para DiscussÃ£o Cedeplar-UFMG
td088, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Luis A. Aguirre & Antonio Aguirre, 1997. "A tutorial introduction to nonlinear dynamics in economics," Nova Economia, Economics Department, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (Brazil), vol. 7(2), pages 9-47.
- Nijkamp, P. & Poot, J., 1991. "Lessons from non-linear dynamic economics," Serie Research Memoranda 0105, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.