Competitive Retailing and Monopolistic Wholesaling in a Spatial Market
AbstractThis paper discusses the connection between a monopolistic wholesale market and a competitive retail market from a spatial perspective. The resulting model considers two sets of transport costs: (1) those between the wholesaler (or producer) and the retail firms and (2) those between the retailers and the consumers. Irrespective of the density and spatial distribution of the retailers, the wholesaler's profit is twice as large as the aggregate profit made by all retailers. The profit of the producer increases with an increasing number of retailers, whereas the profit of a single retailer decreases. It is concluded that a zero-profit equilibrium in the retailers' market leads to maximum welfare in the entire vertically-related market.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Annals of Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 23 (1989)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00168/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Markus Ksoll & Klaus Schöler, 2001. "Alternative Organisation zweistufiger Strommmärkte - Ein räumliches Marktmodell bei zweidimensionaler Verteilung der Nachfrage -," Volkswirtschaftliche DiskussionsbeitrÃ¤ge 47, Universität Potsdam, Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Markus Ksoll, 2001. "Two stages of uniform delivered pricing and a monopolistic network in competitive electricity markets," ERSA conference papers ersa01p280, European Regional Science Association.
- Ishikawa, Toshiharu & Toda, Masao, 2005. "Retail market structure and the threat by the manufacturer to sell goods directly to the consumer," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 43-55, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.