Finland’s Path to the Global Productivity Frontier through Creative Destruction
AbstractThe marked acceleration of Finnish productivity growth since the mid-1980s is attributable to intensifying creative destruction, understood as the joint effect of market entry and exit as well as resource reallocation between continuing plants and firms. This acceleration coincided with the economy-wide deregulation, liberalization, and the opening up of Finland, which provided new incentives and opportunities, thus enabling individuals and businesses to capitalize on intangible capital accumulated via sustained investment since World War II. The “Nokia effect” was particularly important in the latter half of the 1990s, but productivity enhancing restructuring has been more widespread. Developments in Finland are contrasted to those in Japan, Sweden, and the United States.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Centre for the Study of Living Standards in its journal International Productivity Monitor.
Volume (Year): 20 (2010)
Issue (Month): (Fall)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- O38 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Government Policy
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anita Wölfl & Isabelle Wanner & Tomasz Kozluk & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2009. "Ten Years of Product Market Reform in OECD Countries: Insights from a Revised PMR Indicator," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 695, OECD Publishing.
- Pekka Ylä-Anttila & Christopher Palmberg, 2007. "Economic and Industrial Policy Transformations in Finland," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 169-187, December.
- Bockerman, Petri & Maliranta, Mika, 2007.
"The micro-level dynamics of regional productivity growth: The source of divergence in Finland,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 165-182, March.
- Petri Böckerman & Mika Maliranta, 2003. "The micro-level dynamics of regional productivity growth: The source of divergence in Finland," ERSA conference papers ersa03p32, European Regional Science Association.
- Böckerman, Petri & Maliranta, Mika, 2003. "The Micro-level Dynamics of Regional Productivity Growth: The Source of Divergence in Finland," Discussion Papers 854, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Mary O'Mahony & Marcel P. Timmer, 2009. "Output, Input and Productivity Measures at the Industry Level: The EU KLEMS Database," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(538), pages F374-F403, 06.
- Böckerman, Petri & Maliranta, Mika, 2012.
"Outsourcing, occupational restructuring, and employee well-being: Is there a silver lining?,"
1271, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Petri Böckerman & Mika Maliranta, 2013. "Outsourcing, Occupational Restructuring, and Employee Well-Being: Is There a Silver Lining?," Industrial Relations: A Journal of Economy and Society, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(4), pages 878-914, October.
- Petri, Böckerman & Mika, Maliranta, 2012. "Outsourcing, occupational restructuring, and employee well-being: Is there a silver lining?," MPRA Paper 38230, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Böckerman, Petri & Maliranta, Mika, 2013. "Outsourcing, Occupational Restructuring, and Employee Well-Being: Is There a Silver Lining?," IZA Discussion Papers 7399, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Someshwar Rao, 2011. "Insights from Latin America for Canada: A Review Article on The Age of Productivity: Transforming Economies from the Bottom Up," International Productivity Monitor, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 21, pages 70-81, Spring.
- Hyytinen, Ari & Maliranta, Mika, 2011. "Firm Lifecycles and External Restructuring," Discussion Papers 1253, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Whitney Hamilton) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Whitney Hamilton to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.