The Effect from National Diversity on Team Production – Empirical Evidence from the Sports Industry
AbstractWe analyze the effect of national diversity on sports team performance. Due to language barriers, we expect the team’s productivity to decrease with the number of nationalities, but that the introduction of further nations and further aspects of different cultures might lead to additional skills within the team. We test our hypothesis on a seasonal individual team basis. We do not find that national diversity among team members significantly influences a team’s performance. However, we find that the influence of national diversity on team performance depends on the nature of the underlying task.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by LMU Munich School of Management in its journal Schmalenbach Business Review.
Volume (Year): 61 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Corporate Venture Capital; Dynamic Social Network Perspective; Innovation Generation; Knowledge Broker; Knowledge Transfer and Creation;
Other versions of this item:
- Leif Brandes & Egon Franck & Philipp Theiler, 2007. "The Effect from National Diversity on Team Production - Empirical Evidence from the Sports Industry," Working Papers 0088, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU), revised 2008.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Longitudinal Data; Spatial Time Series
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Stephan Nüesch, 2009.
"Are Demographic Diversity Effects Spurious?,"
0097, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- Hartmut Haas & Stephan Nuesch, 2013. "Are multinational teams more successful?," Economics of Education Working Paper Series 0088, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (sbr).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.