The Information Content of Goodwill-Impairments under FAS 142: Implications for External Analysis and Internal Control
AbstractWith its standards FAS 141 and 142 the Financial Accounting Standard Board has revolution-ized the accounting for business combinations. One of the major changes is the abolishment of goodwill-amortization, which has been replaced by an annual impairment test at the level of a reporting unit. Among other things, this new regulation is intended to improve the infor-mation content of goodwill accounting. This paper investigates into the information content of such an impairment from the perspective of external or internal financial analysis. I examine how impairment losses resulting from FAS 142 should be interpreted and treated in the inter-nal and external performance analysis. My analysis shows that an impairment can be due to several reasons, not just to a deteriorating economic performance. In particular, the way the impairment test is conducted according to FAS 142 may even lead to a discrimination of eco-nomically viable investment projects.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by LMU Munich School of Management in its journal Schmalenbach Business Review.
Volume (Year): 57 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Pages: 276 – 297
Financial Statement Analysis; Goodwill; Impairment; Internal Control; Perform-ance Measurement.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies
- M41 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - Accounting
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jean-Michel Sahut & Sandrine Boulerne, 2008. "Les normes IFRS ont-elles améliorées le contenu informationnel des immatériels ? : le cas des entreprises françaises cotées," Post-Print halshs-00525967, HAL.
- Jean-Michel Sahut & Sandrine Boulerne & Frédéric Teulon, 2011. "Do IFRS provide better information about intangibles in Europe?," Review of Accounting and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 10(3), pages 267-290, August.
- Wolfgang Schultze & Andreas Weiler, 2010. "Goodwill accounting and performance measurement," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 36(9), pages 768-784, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (sbr).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.