An Index Is An Index Is An Index?
AbstractBefore June 1999, Deutsche Börse AG published two parallel index values, one calculated from floor prices and the other from Xetra prices. Since 1999, Deutsche Börse has calculated the DAX blue-chip index and the MDAX mid-cap index using only the prices of the electronic trading system Xetra. This paper analyzes the quality of the two indexes empirically. The results allow us to evaluate the decision taken by Deutsche Börse AG. We find that the Xetra-DAX is superior to the floor-DAX, but that the Xetra-MDAX is inferior to the floor MDAX. Our analysis also provides insights on the relative merits of floor and screen trading systems.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by LMU Munich School of Management in its journal Schmalenbach Business Review.
Volume (Year): 53 (2001)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Theissen, Erik, 2009.
"Price discovery in spot and futures markets: A reconsideration,"
CFR Working Papers
09-17, University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
- Erik Theissen, 2012. "Price discovery in spot and futures markets: a reconsideration," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(10), pages 969-987, November.
- Theissen, Erik, 2011. "Price discovery in spot and futures markets: A reconsideration," CFR Working Papers 09-17 [rev.], University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
- Theissen, Erik, 2009. "Price discovery in spot and futures markets: A reconsideration," CFS Working Paper Series 2009/27, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Erik Theissen, 2001.
"Price Discovery in Floor and Screen Trading Systems,"
Bonn Econ Discussion Papers
bgse35_2001, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Theissen, Erik, 2002. "Price discovery in floor and screen trading systems," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 455-474, November.
- Baur, Dirk & Jung, Robert C., 2006. "Return and volatility linkages between the US and the German stock market," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 598-613, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (sbr) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask sbr to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.