Capital Heterogenity: Does it Matter? Fundamental Q and Investment on a Panel of Italian Firms
AbstractWe study the determinants of firms' investment decisions with heterogeneous-capital goods. We exploit a panel of small and medium-sized firms, which allows us to distinguish between purchases and sales of capital goods. We consider separately equipment and structures and test the hypothesis of convex adjustment costs. We extend the fundamental Q approach to the case of two capital inputs. The results show that the standard convex costs model performs well for equipment but not for structures. We find evidence of nonconvex adjustment costs in the case of structures.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal RAND Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 35 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (Winter)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Charles Himmelberg & Alessandra del Boca & Marzio Galeotti & Paola Rota, 2005. "Investment and Time to Plan: A Comparison of Structures vs. Equipment in a Panel of Italian Firms," Working Papers 2005.54, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Elena Bontempi & Roberto Golinelli & Giuseppe Parigi, 2007.
"Why demand uncertainty curbs investment: Evidence froma a panel of Italian manufacturing firms,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
621, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Bontempi, Maria Elena & Golinelli, Roberto & Parigi, Giuseppe, 2010. "Why demand uncertainty curbs investment: Evidence from a panel of Italian manufacturing firms," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 218-238, March.
- Magda Bianco & Maria Bontempi & Roberto Golinelli & Giuseppe Parigi, 2013. "Family firms’ investments, uncertainty and opacity," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 40(4), pages 1035-1058, May.
- Gema Pastor-Agustin & Manuel Espitia-Escuer & Marisa Ramirez-Aleson, 2007. "A Q Model Investment System in Material and Immaterial Assets," European Research Studies Journal, European Research Studies Journal, vol. 0(1-2), pages 43-64.
- Bianco, Madga & Golinelli, Roberto & Parigi, Giuseppe, 2009. "Family firms and investments," MPRA Paper 19247, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alessandra Del Boca & Marzio Galeotti & Paola Rota, 2002.
"Non-convexities in the adjustment of different capital inputs: a firm-level investigation,"
0203, University of Bergamo, Department of Economics.
- Del Boca, Alessandra & Galeotti, Marzio & Rota, Paola, 2008. "Non-convexities in the adjustment of different capital inputs: A firm-level investigation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 315-337, February.
- Alessandra Del Boca & Marzio Galeotti & Paola Rota, 2003. "Non-convexities in the Adjustment of Different Capital Inputs: A Firm-level Investigation," Working Papers 2003.35, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.