Consumer Choice and Cournot Behavior in Capacity-Constrained Duopoly Competition
AbstractIn a two-stage model of duopolistic capacity choice and subsequent price competition, consumer switching costs can deter some consumers from seeking service at a low-price firm that lacks sufficient capacity to serve the entire market. In this setting, firms' residual demand functions are aggregated from the firm-selection decisions of individual consumers based on firms' prices and their induced degrees of service reliability. If consumers are approximately risk neutral with respect to service reliability, then capacity-constrained duopoly competition has a unique, subgame-perfect equilibrium in which firms choose Cournot capacities and prices. The equilibrium robustness of Cournot behavior extends to duopoly markets in which consumer switching costs are induced by subscription pricing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal RAND Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 24 (1993)
Issue (Month): 3 (Autumn)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- de Frutos, Maria-Angeles & Fabra, Natalia, 2007.
"Endogenous Capacities and Price Competition: The Role of Demand Uncertainty,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
6096, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- de Frutos, María-Ángeles & Fabra, Natalia, 2011. "Endogenous capacities and price competition: The role of demand uncertainty," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 399-411, July.
- Ivaldi, Marc & Jullien, Bruno & Rey, Patrick & Seabright, Paul & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "The Economics of Unilateral Effects," IDEI Working Papers, Institut d'Ãconomie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse 222, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Davis, Douglas D., 1999. "Advance production and Cournot outcomes: an experimental investigation," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 59-79, September.
- Van Tassel, Eric, 2011. "Information disclosure in credit markets when banks' costs are endogenous," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 490-497, February.
- Karmarkar, Uday S. & Rajaram, Kumar, 2012. "Aggregate production planning for process industries under oligopolistic competition," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 223(3), pages 680-689.
- Bergman, Mats A., 1998. "Endogenous Timing of Investments Yields Modified Stackelberg Outcomes," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance, Stockholm School of Economics 272, Stockholm School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.