Determinants of the Requested Rate of Return and the Rate of Return Granted in a Formal Regulatory Process
AbstractThis paper contains further analysis of the questions discussed in two papers by Joskow concerning what rate of return a regulated firm will request and what rate of return it will be granted in a formal regulatory process. Using Florida data, this paper extends Joskow's approach by examining both the selectivity and the simultaneity of the rate of return requested and the rate of return granted. Both a "probit two-stage least squares" and a "tobit two-stage least squares" model are estimated and the results differ significantly from the OLS estimates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal Bell Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 9 (1978)
Issue (Month): 2 (Autumn)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Takalo, Tuomas & Tanayama, Tanja & Toivanen, Otto, 2008. "Evaluating innovation policy: a structural treatment effect model of R&D subsidies," Research Discussion Papers 7/2008, Bank of Finland.
- David P. Baron & Raymond R. De Bondt, 1980. "Factor Price Changes," Discussion Papers 417, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Graeme Guthrie, 2006. "Regulating Infrastructure: The Impact on Risk and Investment," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 44(4), pages 925-972, December.
- Wayne Y. Lee & Anjan V. Thakor, 2004. "Regulatory Pricing and Capital Investment under Asymmetric Information about Cost," Finance 0411022, EconWPA.
- Littlechild, S., 2006. "Stipulations, the consumer advocate and utility regulation in Florida," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0635, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Wayne Y. Lee & Anjan V. Thakor, 1982. "Optimal Regulatory Pricing Under Asymmetric Cost Information," Discussion Papers 580, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Tuomas Takalo & Tanja Tanayama & Otto Toivanen, 2005. "Selection Or Self-Rejection? Applications Into A Treatment," Industrial Organization 0510002, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.