On Share Contracts and Screening
AbstractIt has been suggested by Hallagan (1978) and Newbery and Stiglitz (1979) that the coexistence of rent, wage, and share contracts generates information on the abilities of tenants which allows landlords to allocate resources more efficiently. It is argued here that despite the asymmetric information in their models, it is possible to achieve an efficient allocation of resources without the use of share contracts, by having tenants organize production. An alternative model is then given where efficiency cannot be achieved in this way because the quality of land as well as the ability of tenants is unobservable. In this case the use of sets of wage and share contracts may lead to an efficient outcome.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal Bell Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 13 (1982)
Issue (Month): 2 (Autumn)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Eugene Canjels & Ute Volz, 2001. "Share Contracts and Unobserved Ability," SCEPA working paper series. SCEPA's main areas of research are macroeconomic policy, inequality and poverty, and globalization. 2001-03, Schwartz Center for Economic Policy Analysis (SCEPA), The New School.
- Assunção, Juliano Junqueira & Moreira, Humberto Ataíde, 2004.
"Land taxes in a Latin American context,"
Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE)
526, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Juliano Junqueira Assunção, 2005. "Non-agricultural land use and land reform: theory and evidence from Brazil," Textos para discussÃ£o 496, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Wendyam Ulrich Wilfried Zombre & Emmanuelle Bouquet & Jean-Philippe Colin, 2013. "Contraintes de financement et choix contractuel sur le marchÃ© du faire-valoir indirect Ã Madagascar," Working Papers 226293, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Juliano J. Assunção, 2008. "Rural Organization and Land Reform in Brazil: The Role of Nonagricultural Benefits of Landholding," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56, pages 851-870.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.