Profit Regulation in Property-Liability Insurance
AbstractThere has been substantial interest in the question of how (and whether) to allow for investment income in setting rates for property-liability insurers. In a sense this interest is premature, since the fair (i.e., competitive) total profit for an insurance firm has not been defined except by unsupported rules of thumb. This article uses the capital asset pricing model to determine the competitive insurance premium and profit rate. Fair profit rates for real lines of insurance are then calculated and compared with actual profit rates. The comparison suggests that rule-of-thumb profit rates used in regulation are above the level that would occur in a competitive insurance market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal Bell Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 10 (1979)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ralph A. Winter, 1991. "The Liability Insurance Market," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 5(3), pages 115-136, Summer.
- Li-Hua Lai, 2006. "Underwriting profit margin of P/L insurance in the fuzzy-ICAPM," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance Theory, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 23-34, July.
- Ligon, James A. & Cather, David A., 1997. "The informational value of insurance purchases: Evidence from the property-liability insurance market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(7), pages 989-1016, July.
- Gatzert, Nadine & Schmeiser, Hato, 2008. "The influence of corporate taxes on pricing and capital structure in property-liability insurance," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 50-58, February.
- Anne Gron & Deborah Lucas, 1995.
"External Financing and Insurance Cycles,"
NBER Working Papers
5229, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lai, Li-Hua, 2008. "An evaluation of fuzzy transportation underwriting systematic risk," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(9), pages 1231-1237, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.