Evaluation of the Urban Green Infrastructure using Landscape Modules, GIS and a Population Survey: Linking Environmental with Social Aspects in Studying and Managing Urban Forests
AbstractModern cities have to reconcile the needs of the citizens for green areas considering the evolutionary trends of the city, especially in terms of growth and the required transformation in modern times. The present study attempts to analyze and evaluate the amount and distribution of the existing urban green space and the requirements of those green areas by the public. The green infrastructure of the city of Faro was evaluated with three methods: landscape assessment using modules, spatial assessment using GIS and social assessment using an urban population survey. This research provided indicators and thresholds to be included by policy makers in local regulations about green infrastructure of the city of Faro.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by CIEO-Research Centre for Spatial and Organizational Dynamics, University of Algarve in its journal Journal of Spatial and Organizational Dynamics.
Volume (Year): 1 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of Algarve, Faculty of Economics, Campus de Gambelas, 8005-139 Faro, Portugal, email of President of the Centre: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +351 289 244 406
Web page: http://www.cieo.pt/
More information through EDIRC
Cityscape; Urban Green Network; Evaluation of Green Areas; Urban Forestry;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q28 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Government Policy
- Z13 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - Economic Sociology; Economic Anthropology; Social and Economic Stratification
- Z18 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - Public Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Duque, José & Panagopoulos, Thomas, 2010. "Urban Planning throughout environmental quality and human well-being," Spatial and Organizational Dynamics Discussion Papers 2010-5, CIEO-Research Centre for Spatial and Organizational Dynamics, University of Algarve.
- Eric de Noronha Vaz & Peter Nijkamp & Marco Painho & Mario Gaetano, 2011. "A Multi-Scenario Forecast of Urban Change: A Study on Urban Growth in the Algarve," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 11-142/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Panagopoulos, T., 2009. "Linking forestry, sustainability and aesthetics," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(10), pages 2485-2489, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silvia Fernandes).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.