Determinants of National Saving Rate in Pakistan
AbstractAlthough Pakistan achieved a respectable rate of economic growth during the last three decades, its performance about saving has been poor. Thus, Pakistan’s saving performance and its overall economic performance appear to be incongruous. This paper identifies some of the important factors that are affecting the national saving rate in Pakistan. Beside per capita income, an increase in real interest rate is likely to increase national saving rate. High dependency ratio and external indebtedness on the other hand reduce national savings rate. Contrary to the findings of Griffin and Eons it is found that, the inflows of foreign capital increase national savings with a lag of one or two years. Furthermore, the positive association between openness of the economy and national saving rate is found in the case of Pakistan.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Camera di Commercio di Genova in its journal Economia Internazionale / International Economics.
Volume (Year): 47 (1994)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Via Garibaldi 4, 16124 Genova, Italy
Phone: +39 010 27041
Fax: +39 010 2704222
Web page: http://www.ge.camcom.it/IT/Tool/Modulistica
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nicholas Odhiambo, 2004. "Money and physical capital are complementary in kenya," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 65-78.
- Shahbaz Nasir & Mahmood Khalid, 2004. "Saving-investment Behaviour in Pakistan: An Empirical Investigation," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 43(4), pages 665-682.
- Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi & Thanoon, Marwan A. & Rashid, Salim, 2003. "Saving dynamics in the Asian countries," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 827-845, January.
- Iqbal, Zafar & James, Jeffrey & Pyatt, Graham, 2000. "Three-Gap Analysis of Structural Adjustment in Pakistan," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 117-138, January.
- Zafar Iqbal & Ghulam Mustafa Zahid, 1998. "Macroeconomic Determinants of Economic Growth in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 37(2), pages 125-148.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Procopio).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.