Más allá de la retórica de la reacción. Análisis económico de la desamortización en Colombia, 1861-1888
AbstractThis article studies the disentailment of mortmain in Colombia. Most of this land was held by the Catholic Church, which derived considerable economic and political power from its ownership. The Radical faction of the Liberal Party, which governed the country between 1863 and 1876, promoted numerous reforms directed at eliminating the institutions that had survived the years of Spanish colonial rule, and were an obstacle to the advance of the economy. A substantial portion of all the properties of the Church were thus expropriated. This process was culminated with the signing of a treaty –“Concordato”– between the Colombian government and Holy See. The treaty recognized in favor of the Church “the value of disentailed loans and property”. Colombian historiography has given little attention to the process of disentailment, as a result of the influence of the Conservative historiography, which portrayed it as a failure. This mistaken appreciation can only be corrected through research in primary sources. In this paper we have used primary sources that had not been discussed in the most influential works on Colombian economic history of the 19th century and conclude that it was the main economic reform of that period, since it represented at least 16% of the GDP of 1860 and was a very profitable operation for the government.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Universidad Externado de Colombia - Facultad de Economía in its journal Revista de Economía Institucional.
Volume (Year): 11 (2009)
Issue (Month): 20 (January-June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Cra. 1 No. 12-68 Casa de las Mandolinas
Phone: (571) 2826066 Ext. 1307
Fax: (571) 2826066 Ext. 1304
Web page: http://www.economiainstitucional.com
More information through EDIRC
disentailment; economic historiography;
Other versions of this item:
- Roberto Luis Jaramillo & Adolfo Meisel Roca, 2008. "Más Allá De La Retórica De La Reacción, Análisis Económico De La Desamortización En Colombia, 1861-1888," CUADERNOS DE HISTORIA ECONÃMICA Y EMPRESARIAL 005286, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
- N26 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions - - - Latin America; Caribbean
- N46 - Economic History - - Government, War, Law, International Relations, and Regulation - - - Latin America; Caribbean
- H30 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
RePEc Biblio mentionsAs found on the RePEc Biblio, the curated bibliography for Economics:
- > Economic History > Regional Economic History > Latin American Economic History > Economic History of Colombia
- Salomón Kalmanovitz, 2008. "Consecuencias económicas de la independencia en Colombia," Revista de Economía Institucional, Universidad Externado de Colombia - Facultad de Economía, vol. 10(19), pages 207-233, July-Dece.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paola Rodríguez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.