The educational effects of 19th century disentailment of catholic church land in Colombia
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to analyze the effects of land concentration prompted by the distribution of disentailed Church land during the second half of the 19th century on the accumulation of human capital, in early 20th century Colombia1. Utilizing existing primary sources on the process of land disentailment and the 1912 National Census, descriptive statistics and econometric evidence show a significant and negative relationship between the amount of disentailed land during the 1870s at municipal level with literacy and school enrollment rates of males in 1912.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE in its series DOCUMENTOS CEDE with number 004716.
Date of creation: 04 May 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- Fazio Vargas, Antonella & Sánchez Torres, Fabio, 2010. "The educational effects of 19th century disentailment of Catholic Church land in Colombia," Revista de Historia Económica, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(03), pages 441-467, December.
- NEP-ALL-2008-06-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2008-06-13 (Education)
- NEP-HIS-2008-06-13 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Irina Rosa España Eljaiek & Fabio Sánchez Torres, 2010. "Industrialización regional, café y capital humano en la primera mitad del siglo XX en Colombia," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 007723, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.