Pierangelo Garegnani: Policy Implications of the Critique of Political Economy
AbstractNotwithstanding his fundamental contribution to the critique of the neoclassical notion of capital, we maintain that Pierangelo Garegnaniâs research has been especially characterized by the reconstruction of an alternative approach to economics. Following Sraffaâs lead, Garegnani found such an alternative approach in the Classical theory of value and distribution, and put forward a Classical-Keynesian theory for output determination. In this approach, prices are not scarcity indexes, the absence of any spontaneous tendency to full employment abolishes optimality of market economies, income distribution results from social − not natural − forces. The policy implications of this approach are considered.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Associazione Rossi Doria in its journal QA.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Via Silvio d'Amico 77, - 00145 Rome Italy
Phone: +39 06 57114743
Fax: +39 06 57114774
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/associazioni/rossidoria/qa.asp
More information through EDIRC
Pierangelo Garegnani; Piero Sraffa; Capital theory; Classical surplus approach; Effective demand;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B32 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought: Individuals - - - Obituaries
- D30 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - General
- D46 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Value Theory
- E11 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Marxian; Sraffian; Institutional; Evolutionary
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pierangelo Garegnani, 2005. "Capital And Intertemporal Equilibria: A Reply To Mandler ," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(4), pages 411-437, November.
- Pierangelo Garegnani & Attilio Trezzini, 2010. "Cycles and Growth: A Source of Demand-Driven Endogenous Growth," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(1), pages 119-125.
- Pierangelo Garegnani, 2007. "Professor Foley and Classical Policy Analysis," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(2), pages 221-242.
- Garegnani, P, 1970. "Heterogeneous Capital, the Production Function and the Theory of Distribution," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(3), pages 407-36, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.