Framing world monetary system reform: Fritz Machlup and the Bellagio Group conferences
AbstractThis paper explores the influence of Fritz Machlup and the Bellagio Group on world monetary reform. After an examination of the literature, the paper addresses research into Machlupï¿½s framing of the problem of world monetary reform, his method, his selection of economists to join the Bellagio Group, his close working relationship with the treasury and central bank officials who were the deputies of the Group of Ten, and his creation of a broad platform of joint conferences, papers and books to promote their work. Taking an historico-biographical approach, this paper draws on the archives and published works of Fritz Machlup, Robert Triffin and their contemporaries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Economia civile in its journal PSL Quarterly Review.
Volume (Year): 64 (2011)
Issue (Month): 257 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.economiacivile.it
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B22 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought since 1925 - - - Macroeconomics
- B31 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought: Individuals - - - Individuals
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael D. Bordo & Alan M. Taylor & Jeffrey G. Williamson, 2003. "Introduction to "Globalization in Historical Perspective"," NBER Chapters, in: Globalization in Historical Perspective, pages 1-10 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Juanita Roushdy, 1987. "The Role of the SDR in the International Monetary System," IMF Occasional Papers 51, International Monetary Fund.
- Barry Eichengreen & Harold James, 2003. "Monetary and Financial Reform in Two Eras of Globalization," NBER Chapters, in: Globalization in Historical Perspective, pages 515-548 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlo D'Ippoliti).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.