Collateralized Debt Obligations´ Valuation Using the One Factor Gaussian Copula Model
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to shed light on Collateralized Debt Obligation (CDO) valuation based on data before and during the 2007-2009 global turmoil. We present the One Factor Gaussian Copula Model and examine five hypotheses regarding CDO sensitivity to entry parameters. For our modelling we used data of the CDX NA IG 5Y V3 index from 20 September 2007 until 27 February 2009 and we appropriately transform its quotes into CDO quotes. Based on the results we discovered four main defi ciencies of the CDO market: i) an insufficient analysis of underlying assets by both investors and rating agencies; ii) investment decisions arise from the valuation model based on expected cash flows, they neglected other factors such as mark-tomarket losses; iii) mispriced correlation; and finally iv) obligation of the mark-to-market valuation. Based on the mentioned recommendations we conclude that the CDO market has a chance to be regenerated but in smaller volumes compared to the pre-crisis period. However, it would then be more conscious, driven by smarter motives rather than by pure arbitrage and profit incentives.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Economics, Prague in its journal Prague Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 2012 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Postal: Editorial office Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- G17 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Financial Forecasting and Simulation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:sae:ecolab:v:16:y:2006:i:2:p:1-2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jeffery D Amato & Jacob Gyntelberg, 2005. "CDS index tranches and the pricing of credit risk correlations," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Janda, Karel & Zetek, Pavel, 2013. "Macroeconomic factors influencing interest rates of microfinance institutions in Latin America," MPRA Paper 49973, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vaclav Subrta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.