Asymmetric Responses of CAPM - Beta to the Bull and Bear Markets on the Bucharest Stock Exchange
AbstractThe CAPM - beta is one of the most used tools to estimate the systematic risks associated to stock. In the last decades different behaviours of beta were revealed for the circumstances of the bull and the bear markets. This paper analyses the CAPM – beta responses for bad and good news for ten representative stocks from the Bucharest Stock Exchange. We identify the bull, the bear and the tranquil markets using a univariate kernal density function and we calculate for each stage the single and the multifactor CAPM betas. We conclude that for most of the stocks CAPM betas are the largest in the bear conditions and they are the least in the bull markets conditions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Petrosani, Romania in its journal Annals of the University of Petrosani - Economics.
Volume (Year): 9 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.upet.ro/
CAPM - betas; Bucharest Stock Exchange; Bull and Bear Markets; Systematic Risk; Kernal Estimation;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fabozzi, Frank J & Francis, Jack Clark, 1977. "Stability Tests for Alphas and Betas over Bull and Bear Market Conditions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1093-99, September.
- Adrian R. Pagan & Kirill A. Sossounov, 2003. "A simple framework for analysing bull and bear markets," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 23-46.
- Braun, Phillip A & Nelson, Daniel B & Sunier, Alain M, 1995. " Good News, Bad News, Volatility, and Betas," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1575-1603, December.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Black, Fischer, 1972. "Capital Market Equilibrium with Restricted Borrowing," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(3), pages 444-55, July.
- Dumitriu, Ramona & Stefanescu, Razvan & Nistor, Costel, 2010. "Systematic risks for the financial and for the non-financial Romanian companies," MPRA Paper 41636, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 28 Feb 2010.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Imola Driga).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.