From Centrally Planned to Market Economy: The Road from CPE to PCPE
AbstractThe early stages of transformation of centrally planned economies into market economies are examined. In the transitional phase when an economy is no longer centrally planned, but not yet market based--when it is a "previously centrally planned economy"--expectations play a key role. A model is developed to analyze the consequences of expected price liberalization, and the benefits from early development of financial markets and speedy implementation of price reform are demonstrated. Ways to reduce liquidity overhang are examined, the consequences of privatization are analyzed, and the benefits of an effective tax system are highlighted.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Staff Papers - International Monetary Fund.
Volume (Year): 38 (1991)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- P21 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Planning, Coordination, and Reform
- G20 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - General
- F30 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Goldberg, L.S. & Karimov, I., 1992.
"Blak-Markets for Currency, Hoarding Activity and Policy Reforms,"
92-38, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Goldberg, Linda S. & Karimov, Il'dar, 1997. "Black markets for currency, hoarding activity and policy reforms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3-4), pages 349-369, May.
- Linda S. Goldberg & Il'dar Karimov, 1992. "Black-Markets for Currency, Hoarding Activity and Currency Reform," NBER Working Papers 4153, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fardmanesh, Mohsen & Tan, Li, 2003. "Wage and price control policies in transition economies," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 173-200, February.
- Chadha, Bankim & Coricelli, Fabrizio, 1994.
"Fiscal Constraints and the Speed of Transition,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
993, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.