Fiscal constraints and the speed of transition
AbstractThis paper develops a model of the process of reallocation of resources from a declining state sector to an expanding private sector. The transition is shown to be costly in that it entails unemployment and a deterioration of the fiscal balance. The interaction of fiscal constraints with the transition process is examined. It is shown that fiscal constraints may induce the government to maintain the state sector, slowing the speed of transition, and could jeopardize the eventual outcome of the process of restructuring.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Development Economics.
Volume (Year): 52 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/devec
Other versions of this item:
- E24 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Employment; Unemployment; Wages; Intergenerational Income Distribution
- P20 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Peter Diamond, 1992.
"The Flow Approach to Labor Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
4000, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bankim Chadha & Fabrizio Coricelli & KornÃ©lia KrajnyÃ¡k, 1993.
"Economic Restructuring, Unemployment, and Growth in a Transition Economy,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(4), pages 744-780, December.
- KornÃ©lia KrajnyÃ¡k & Bankim Chadha & Fabrizio Coricelli, 1993. "Economic Restructuring, Unemployment, and Growth in a Transition Economy," IMF Working Papers 93/16, International Monetary Fund.
- Michael Bruno, 1992. "Stabilization and Reform in Eastern Europe - A Preliminary Evaluation," IMF Working Papers 92/30, International Monetary Fund.
- Vito Tanzi, 1993. "Fiscal Policy and the Economic Restructuring of Economies in Transition," IMF Working Papers 93/22, International Monetary Fund.
- Bankim Chadha, 1991. "Wages, Profitability, and Growth in a Small Open Economy," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(1), pages 59-82, March.
- Kornai, Janos, 1992.
"The Postsocialist Transition and the State: Reflections in the Light of Hungarian Fiscal Problems,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 82(2), pages 1-21, May.
- Kornai, J. & Ely, R.T., 1992. "The Postsocialist Transition and the State: Reflections in the Light of Hungarian Fiscal Problems," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1583, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Michael Bruno, 1992. "Stabilization and Reform in Eastern Europe: A Preliminary Evaluation," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(4), pages 741-777, December.
- Shapiro, Carl & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1984. "Equilibrium Unemployment as a Worker Discipline Device," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 433-44, June.
- repec:fth:coluec:655 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Elias Dinopoulos & Timothy D. Lane, 1991. "Fiscal Constraints on Market-Oriented Reform in a Socialist Economy," IMF Working Papers 91/75, International Monetary Fund.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Jacob A. Frenkel, 1991. "From Centrally Planned to Market Economy: The Road from CPE to PCPE," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(2), pages 268-299, June.
- Marcello Signorelli & Enrico Marelli, 2007. "Institutional change, regional features and aggregate performance in eight EU’s transition countries," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 37/2007, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Buiter, Willem H, 1996.
"Aspects of Fiscal Performance in some Transition Economies under Fund-supported Programs,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1535, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- W.H. Buiter, 1997. "Aspects of Fiscal Performance in Some Transition Economies Under Fund-Supported Programs," CEP Discussion Papers dp0333, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Willem H. Buiter, 1997. "Aspects of Fiscal Performance in Some Transition Economies Under Fund-Supported Programs," IMF Working Papers 97/31, International Monetary Fund.
- Fabrizio Coricelli & Mathilde Maurel, 2010.
"Growth and crisis in transition : a comparative perspective,"
UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Fabrizio Coricelli & Mathilde Maurel, 2011. "Growth and Crisis in Transition: A Comparative Perspective," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(1), pages 49-64, 02.
- Fabrizio Coricelli & Mathilde Maurel, 2010. "Growth and crisis in transition : a comparative perspective," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 10020, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Nauro F. Campos & Fabrizio Coricelli, 2002.
"Growth in Transition: What We Know, What We Don't, and What We Should,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
470, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Nauro F. Campos & Abrizio Coricelli, 2002. "Growth in Transition: What We Know, What We Don't, and What We Should," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 40(3), pages 793-836, September.
- Campos, Nauro F & Coricelli, Fabrizio, 2002. "Growth in Transition: What we Know, What we Don't and What we Should," CEPR Discussion Papers 3246, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jurajda, Stepán & Terrell, Katherine, 2008. "Job Reallocation in Two Cases of Massive Adjustment in Eastern Europe," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 2144-2169, November.
- Randolph Luca Bruno, 2003. "Speed of Transition, Unemployment Dynamics and Nonemployment Policies: Evidence from the Visegrad Countries," LEM Papers Series 2003/23, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00469327 is not listed on IDEAS
- Schroder, Philipp J. H., 2001. "On the speed and boundaries of structural adjustment when fiscal policy is tight," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 345-364, December.
- Bouev Maxim & Matveenko Vladimir & Vostroknutova Ekaterina, 1998. "Transformational Decline and Preconditions of Growth in Russia," EERC Working Paper Series 98-03e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Treier, Volker, 1999. "Unemployment in reforming countries: Causes, fiscal impacts and the success of transformation," BERG Working Paper Series 29, Bamberg University, Bamberg Economic Research Group.
- Marilena Giannetti, 2005. "Macroeconomic Effects In the Acceding Countries," Working Papers 87, University of Rome La Sapienza, Department of Public Economics.
- Karoly Fazekas & Jeno Koltay (ed.), 2002. "The Hungarian Labour Market 2002," The Hungarian Labour Market Yearbooks, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, number 2002, January.
- Sukiassyan, Grigor, 2007. "Inequality and growth: What does the transition economy data say?," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 35-56, March.
- Maxim Bouev, 2004. "Diverging Paths: Transition in the Presence of the Informal Sector," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2004-689, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Barlow, David & Radulescu, Roxana, 2005. "The sequencing of reform in transition economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 835-850, December.
- Mehrotra, Aaron N. & Peltonen, Tuomas A., 2005. "Socio-economic development and fiscal policy: lessons from the cohesion countries for the new member states," Working Paper Series 0467, European Central Bank.
- Maxim Bouev, 2001. "Labor Supply, Informal Economy and Russian Transition," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 408, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.