External Adjustment and the Strong Yen: Recent Japanese Experience
AbstractThe parameters of a conventional model of Japan's current account were found to be stable in the period of the steeply rising yen, end-1985 to end-1987. Thus, Japan's current account has been adjusting to the strengthening yen in accordance with established historical relationships--a conclusion substantiated by the model's reasonably accurate tracking of the current account in this period. Simulations of the model show that the rise in the yen has already made a substantial contribution to correcting Japan's external imbalance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Staff Papers - International Monetary Fund.
Volume (Year): 36 (1989)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Byron Gangnes & Craig Parsons, 2004.
"Have US-Japan Trade Agreements Made a Difference?,"
200403, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Byron Gangnes & Craig Parsons, 2004. "Have U.S.-Japan Trade Agreements Made a Difference?," Working Papers 08-2004, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Sawyer, W. Charles & Sprinkle, Richard L., 1997. "The Demand for Imports and Exports in Japan: A Survey," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 247-259, June.
- Byron Gangnes & F. Gerard Adams, 1994.
"Japan's Persistent Trade Surplus: Policies for Adjustment,"
199404, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Adams, F. Gerard & Gangnes, Byron, 1996. "Japan's persistent trade surplus: Policies for adjustment," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 309-333, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.