The Effectiveness of Capital Controls: Implications for Monetary Autonomy in the Presence of Incomplete Market Separation
AbstractThe long-run ineffectiveness of quantitative capital controls is demonstrated with a model in which economic agents can evade controls by incurring costs at the time that capital is transferred. Differentials between domestic and off-shore interest rates, as well as expectations about future yield differentials, provide incentives for capital flows, which in turn feed back to eliminate the differentials in the long run. Consequently, under fixed exchange rates the proportion of a change in domestic credit that is "offset" by capital flows is a function of time; quantitative capital controls can provide only temporary autonomy for national monetary policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Staff Papers - International Monetary Fund.
Volume (Year): 34 (1987)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Glick, Reuven & Hutchison, Michael, 2011.
"The illusive quest: Do international capital controls contribute to currency stability?,"
International Review of Economics & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 59-70, January.
- Reuven Glick & Michael Hutchison, 2010. "The illusive quest: do international capital controls contribute to currency stability?," Working Paper Series 2010-15, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Simón Sosvilla-Rivero, 2000.
"A Quantitative Analysis Of The Effects Of Capital Controls: Spain, 1986-1990,"
00-01, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Sosvilla-Rivero Simon, 2001. "A Quantitative Analysis of the Effects of Capital Controls: Spain, 1986-1990," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(3), pages 129-146.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Simón Sosvilla-Rivero, . "A Quantitative Analysis of the Effects of Capital Controls: Spain, 1986-1990," Working Papers on International Economics and Finance 00-01, FEDEA.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & R. Todd Smith, 2001.
"Temporary Controls on Capital Inflows,"
NBER Working Papers
8422, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mouhamadou Sy, 2012. "Exchange Rate Regimes, Capital Controls and the Pattern of Speculative Capital Flows," Working Papers halshs-00684591, HAL.
- Liliana Rojas-SuÃ¡rez & Donald J. Mathieson & Michael P. Dooley, 1996.
"Capital Mobility and Exchange Market Intervention in Developing Countries,"
IMF Working Papers
96/131, International Monetary Fund.
- Michael P. Dooley & Donald J. Mathieson & Liliana Rojas-Suarez, 1997. "Capital Mobility and Exchange Market Intervention in Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 6247, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David B. Gordon & Ross Levine, 1988. "The capital flight "problem."," International Finance Discussion Papers 320, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Hans Joachim Voth, 2001.
"Convertibility, currency controls and the cost of capital in Western Europe, 1950-1999,"
Economics Working Papers
552, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Hans-Joachim Voth, 2003. "Convertibility, currency controls and the cost of capital in Western Europe, 1950-1999," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(3), pages 255-276.
- Sweta Saxena & Kar-yiu Wong, 1999.
"Currency Crises and Capital Control: A Survey,"
Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington
0045, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Mouhamadou Sy, 2012. "Exchange Rate Regimes, Capital Controls and the Pattern of Speculative Capital Flows," PSE Working Papers halshs-00684591, HAL.
- Phylaktis, Kate, 1999. "Capital market integration in the Pacific Basin region: an impulse response analysis," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 267-287, February.
- Philippe Bacchetta, 1996. "Capital controls and the political discount: The Spanish experience in the late 1980s," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 7(4), pages 349-369, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.