Turnover of Senior Managers in Russian Privatised Firms
AbstractThis paper studies determinants of CEO turnover in Russian privatised enterprises using data from a recent survey of 437 firms. Its main finding is an inverse relationship between past performance of firms (measured by labour productivity) and the probability of their CEO replacement. The paper also shows that insider ownership inhibits CEO turnover, while both state and private outside ownership are associated with higher turnover rates. Moreover, the greater the share of regional governments in company's equity, the stronger the performance–turnover relationship. The impact of board composition on CEO turnover is less pronounced. However, there is evidence that smaller boards strengthen the performance–turnover relationship. There is also evidence that CEO turnover is positively related to control changes as well as financial difficulties of companies. Comparative Economic Studies (2003) 45, 148–172. doi:10.1057/palgrave.ces.8100008
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Comparative Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 45 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Muravyev, Alexander & Talavera, Oleksandr & Weir, Charlie, 2014. "Performance Effects of Appointing Other Firms' Executive Directors to Corporate Boards: An Analysis of UK Firms," IZA Discussion Papers 7962, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kato, Takao & Long, Cheryl, 2006. "CEO turnover, firm performance, and enterprise reform in China: Evidence from micro data," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 796-817, December.
- Kato, Takao & Long, Cheryl, 2006. "CEO Turnover, Firm Performance and Enterprise Reform in China: Evidence from New Micro Data," IZA Discussion Papers 1914, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Berezinets, Irina & Ilina, Yulia & Muravyev, Alexander, 2011. "CEO and Board Characteristics as Determinants of Private Benefits of Control: Evidence from the Russian Stock Exchange," IZA Discussion Papers 6256, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kato, Takao & Long, Cheryl, 2008.
"Tournaments and Managerial Incentives in China's Listed Firms: New Evidence,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3730, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kato, Takao & Long, Cheryl, 2011. "Tournaments and managerial incentives in China's listed firms: New evidence," China Economic Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 1-10, March.
- Muravyev, Alexander & Talavera, Oleksandr & Bilyk, Olga & Grechaniuk, Bogdana, 2009.
"Firm Performance and Managerial Turnover: The Case of Ukraine,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4372, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Muravyev, Alexander & Bilyk, Olga & Grechaniuk, Bogdana, 2009. "Firm Performance and Managerial Turnover: The Case of Ukraine," MPRA Paper 13685, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ichiro Iwasaki, 2007. "Enterprise Reform And Corporate Governance In Russia: A Quantitative Survey," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(5), pages 849-902, December.
- Tran Thi, Que Giang, 2008. "The Impacts of Corporate Governance On the Performance of Privatized Firms In Vietnam," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine, Paris Dauphine University 123456789/3860, Paris Dauphine University.
- Muravyev, Alexander, 2003.
"Обновление Директорского Корпуса На Российских Приватизированных Предприятиях
[Turnover of managers in Russian privatized ente," MPRA Paper 27230, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sergey Solntsev, 2013. "Senior management labor market: from economic growth to crisis. The case of Russia," HSE Working papers, National Research University Higher School of Economics WP BRP 10/MAN/2013, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.