Inflation and the Costs of Stabilization: Historical and Recent Experiences and Policy Lessons
AbstractThis article reviews various experiences with stabilization. It first examines stabilization programs in the context of hyperinflation--looking at the experiences of Austria and Germany in the early 1920s and Bolivia in 1985--and then reviews and interprets the results of orthodox stabilization plans (applied in Argentina, Chile, and Uruguay during the mid-1970s and early 1980s) and those of heterodox programs (the austral plan in Argentina and the cruzado plan in Brazil, with a glance at the Mexican and Israeli experiences). The paper concludes with a discussion of conceptual issues and implications for the design of stabilization policies. Copyright 1990 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Bank Group in its journal World Bank Research Observer.
Volume (Year): 5 (1990)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://wbro.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Vittorio Corbo & Stanley Fischer, . "Structural Adjustment, Stabilization and Policy Reform: Domestic and International Finance," Documentos de Trabajo 170, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Corbo, Vittorio & Fischer, Stanley, 1991. "Adjustment programs and Bank support : rationale and main results," Policy Research Working Paper Series 582, The World Bank.
- Buffie, Edward F., 1998. "Public sector price increases, credibility and welfare," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 127-151, February.
- Corbo, Vittorio, 1991. "Report on adjustment lending II : lessons forEastern Europe," Policy Research Working Paper Series 693, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.