Tight Money in a Post-Crisis Defense of the Exchange Rate: What Have We Learned?
AbstractCritics of the tight monetary policies pursued by some of the countries hurt by the 1997 Asian financial crisis have questioned the presumption that tight money can help sustain the value of a currency. The issue is actually an empirical one because theory does not unambiguously predict the effect of tight money on the exchange rate under the circumstances faced by the crisis countries. This article reviews the empirical research and shows that the evidence does not yet support strong statements about post-crisis links between monetary policy and the exchange rate. Proposed deviations from a sustainable medium-term monetary policy stance should thus be viewed with skepticism. Copyright 2003, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Bank Group in its journal The World Bank Research Observer.
Volume (Year): 18 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://wbro.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cordella, Tito & Federico, Pablo & Vegh, Carlos & Vuletin, Guillermo, 2014. "Reserve requirements in the brave new macroprudential world," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6793, The World Bank.
- Ramkishen S. Rajan, 2006.
"Managing New-Style Currency Crises: The Swan Diagram Approach Revisited,"
SCAPE Policy Research Working Paper Series
0517, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics, SCAPE.
- Ramkishen S. Rajan, 2007. "Managing new-style currency crises: the swan diagram approach revisited," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(5), pages 583-606.
- Ramkishen S. Rajan, 2005. "Managing New-Style Currency Crises : The Swan Diagram Approach Revisited," Macroeconomics Working Papers 22574, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Sergio Clavijo & Carlos Varela, . "Flotación Cambiaria y Esterilización Monetaria: La Experiencia de Colombia," Borradores de Economia 256, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Luis-Felipe Zanna, 2006. "Fighting against currency depreciation, macroeconomic instability and sudden stops," International Finance Discussion Papers 848, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.