Assessing Causal Economic Explanations
AbstractRecent years have witnessed a growing interest in causal realism in the methodology of economics. Some of this literature reflects a strong skepticism about the existence of sharp event-regularities or 'laws' in the economic realm and, accordingly, about the prospects for the covering-law approach to explanation that dominates modern economic theory. This paper outlines an alternative, causal, approach to economic explanation and attempts to answer an important question often asked about it: how should causal economic explanations be assessed? Copyright 1998 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 50 (1998)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gregor Zwirn, 2009. "Ludwig von Mises on the epistemological foundation for social sciences reconstructed," The Review of Austrian Economics, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 81-107, March.
- Hearnshaw, Edward J.S. & Cullen, Ross & Hughey, Kenneth F.D., 2006.
"An Emergent Economics of Ecosystem Management,"
2006 Conference, August 24-25, 2006, Nelson, New Zealand
31957, New Zealand Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Hearnshaw, Edward J.S. & Cullen, Ross & Hughey, Kenneth F.D., 2006. "An Emergent Economics of Ecosystem Management," 2006 Conference, August 24-25, 2006, Nelson, New Zealand 31957, New Zealand Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Lee, Frederic, 2011. "The making of heterodox microeconomics," MPRA Paper 30907, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bernard Walters & David Young, 2001. "Critical Realism as a Basis for Economic Methodology: A critique," Review of Political Economy, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 13(4), pages 483-501.
- Jochen Runde, 2001. "On Stephen Parsons' Philosophical Critique of Transcendental Realism," Review of Political Economy, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 101-114.
- Lewis, Paul & Runde, Jochen, 2007. "Subjectivism, social structure and the possibility of socio-economic order: The case of Ludwig Lachmann," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 167-186, February.
- Geoffrey Hodgson, 2004.
"Some claims made for critical realism in economics: two case studies,"
Journal of Economic Methodology,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 53-73.
- G. Hodgson., 2006. "Some Claims Made for Critical Realism in Economics: Two Case Studies," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 7.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.