An Open Shop, Wage Bargaining, and Taxation--A Note
AbstractIn a social custom model of union membership with wage bargaining, higher levels of company taxes lower wages while having uncertain employment effects. A higher marginal income tax rate increases employment. Changes solely in the level of income taxation, retaining marginal rates, have ambiguous wage and employment consequences. Endogenizing union membership, therefore, does not alter the effects of tax changes in comparison to a right-to-manage model with exogenously fixed level of density. Copyright 1997 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 49 (1997)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Laszlo Goerke & Markus Pannenberg, 2007.
"Trade Union Membership and Works Councils in West Germany,"
Industrielle Beziehungen - Zeitschrift fuer Arbeit, Organisation und Management - The German Journal of Industrial Relations,
Rainer Hampp Verlag, vol. 14(2), pages 154 - 175.
- Goerke, Laszlo & Pannenberg, Markus, 2007. "Trade union membership and work councils in West Germany," TÃ¼binger DiskussionsbeitrÃ¤ge 311, University of Tübingen, School of Business and Economics.
- Goerke, Laszlo & Pannenberg, Markus, 2007. "Trade Union Membership and Works Councils in West Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 2635, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Goerke, Laszlo, 1998. "Bismarck versus Beveridge: Flat- and earnings-related unemployment insurance in an efficiency wage framework," Discussion Papers, Series 1 291, University of Konstanz, Department of Economics.
- Schnabel, Claus, 2002. "Determinants of trade union membership," Discussion Papers 15, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Labour and Regional Economics.
- Goerke, Laszlo & Pannenberg, Markus, 2003.
"Norm-Based Trade Union Membership: Evidence for Germany,"
IZA Discussion Papers
962, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Laszlo Goerke & Markus Pannenberg, 2004. "Norm-Based Trade Union Membership: Evidence for Germany," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 5(4), pages 481-504, November.
- Laszlo Goerke, 2003. "Tax Progressivity and Tax Evasion," CESifo Working Paper Series 1097, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.