Small Farmers, Moneylenders and Trading Activity
AbstractIn this paper, the authors show how an interlinkage between the credit and output markets is an endogenous outcome of credit market imperfections. Also, such interlinkages are Pareto optimal. This is worked out under the assumption of infinite availability of funds with the money lender. If, however, the lender faces a loanable funds constraint, it is not optimal for him to interlink, and he charges monopoly rates of interest. The paper, therefore, endogenously develops various forms of trading and lending activities. Copyright 1987 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 39 (1987)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sarbajit Chaudhuri, 2000.
"Interactions Between Two Informal Sector Lenders and Interest Rate Determination in The Informal Credit Market: A Theoretical Analysis,"
Indian Economic Review,
Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 35(2), pages 155-174, July.
- Sarbajit Chaudhuri, 2005. "Interactions Between Two Informal Sector Lenders And Interest Rate Determination In The Informal Credit Market: A Theoretical Analysis," Game Theory and Information 0511002, EconWPA.
- Sarbajit Chaudhuri, 2005. "Interactions Between Two Informal Sector Lenders And Interest Rate Determination In The Informal Credit Market: A Theoretical Analysis," Game Theory and Information 0511003, EconWPA.
- Lefèvre, Mélanie & Tharakan, Joe, 2011. "Intermediaries, transport costs and interlinked transactions," CEPR Discussion Papers 8615, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ananish Chaudhuri & Pushkar Maitra, 1997. "Determinants of Land Tenure Contracts; Theory and Evidence from Rural India," Departmental Working Papers 199710, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Sarbajit Chaudhuri, 2005. "Interaction Of Formal And Informal Credit Markets In Backward," Game Theory and Information 0511001, EconWPA.
- Chaudhuri, Sarbajit & Gupta, Manash Ranjan, 1996. "Delayed formal credit, bribing and the informal credit market in agriculture: A theoretical analysis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 433-449, December.
- Benfica, Rui M.S., 2007. "Income Poverty Effects of Expansion and Policies in Cash Cropping Economies in Rural Mozambique: An Economy-wide Approach," Food Security Collaborative Working Papers 56070, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Sen, Debapriya, 2011.
"A theory of sharecropping: The role of price behavior and imperfect competition,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 181-199.
- Sen, Debapriya, 2009. "A theory of sharecropping: the role of price behavior and imperfect competition," MPRA Paper 19021, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sen, Debapriya, 2009. "A theory of sharecropping: the role of price behavior and imperfect competition," MPRA Paper 14898, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aggarwal, Rimjhim M., 2006. "Resource-Poor Farmers in South India: On the Margins or Frontiers of Globalization?," Working Paper Series RP2006/97, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Chakrabarty, Debajyoti & Chaudhuri, Ananish, 2001. "Formal and informal sector credit institutions and interlinkage," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 313-325, November.
- Sarbajit Chaudhuri & Asis Kumar Banerjee, 2005. "Credit-Product Interlinkage, Captive Markets And Trade Liberalization In Agriculture: A Theoretical Analysis In Agriculture: A Theoretical Analysis," Game Theory and Information 0510011, EconWPA.
- Debapriya Sen, 2005. "Sharecropping, interlinkage, and price variation," Department of Economics Working Papers 05-10, Stony Brook University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.