Risk Aversion, Terms of Trade Uncertainty and Social-Consensus Trade Policy
AbstractIn the Ricardo-Viner model under certainty, some specific factors areharmed by any trade tax, and mo bile factors favor taxes on some-but not all-goods. This paper demonstrates in t he context of the Ricardo-Viner trade model with terms-of-trade uncertainty, that in the presence of incomplete insurance markets a terms-of-trade contingent tr ade tax commitment can improve welfare (without any explicit income redistributi on) for every factor owner. Furthermore,this result holds in both the short run , with factor specificity, and the long run before any investment decision in sp ecificity or mobility has been implemented. Copyright 1986 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 38 (1986)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jensen, Richard & Thursby, Marie, 1990.
"Tariffs with private information and reputation,"
Journal of International Economics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 29(1-2), pages 43-67, August.
- Christophe Gouel, 2013.
"Food Price Volatility and Domestic Stabilization Policies in Developing Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
18934, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christophe Gouel, 2013. "Food Price Volatility and Domestic Stabilization Policies in Developing Countries," NBER Chapters, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, in: The Economics of Food Price Volatility National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gouel, Christophe, 2013. "Food price volatility and domestic stabilization policies in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series, The World Bank 6393, The World Bank.
- Forteza, Alvaro, 2001. "Multiple equilibria in government transfer policy," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 531-555, September.
- Bin, Sheng, 2000. "The Political Economy of Trade Policy in China," Working Papers, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Management, Politics & Philosophy 10/2000, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Management, Politics & Philosophy.
- Gouel, Christophe & Jean, Sebastien, 2012.
"Optimal food price stabilization in a small open developing country,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series, The World Bank
5943, The World Bank.
- Christophe Gouel & Sébastien Jean, 2012. "Optimal Food Price Stabilization in a Small Open Developing Country," Working Papers, CEPII research center 2012-01, CEPII research center.
- Svaleryd, Helena & Vlachos, Jonas, 1999.
"Markets for Risk and Openness to Trade: How are they Related?,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance, Stockholm School of Economics
327, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 10 Sep 2000.
- Svaleryd, Helena & Vlachos, Jonas, 2002. "Markets for risk and openness to trade: how are they related?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 369-395, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.