Banks and Enterprise Privatization in China
AbstractDrawing on a unique dataset we collected in 1998 and 2000, this article examines the determinants of privatization of township and village enterprises in China. Our theoretical model explicitly considers the role of banks in determining privatization. We find that improved human capital and incentives of bank managers as well as deteriorating bank liquidity lead to privatization. We also analyze the conditions under which shutdown might be preferred to privatization as a method to divest of government-owned firms. We find empirical evidence that is consistent with our model's predictions. Copyright 2005, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal The Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization.
Volume (Year): 21 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://jleo.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- K. Arin & Mehmet Ulubaşoğlu, 2009.
"Leviathan resists: the endogenous relationship between privatization and firm performance,"
Springer, vol. 140(1), pages 185-204, July.
- Mehmet Ulubasoglu & K. Peren Arin, 2005. "Leviathan Resists: The Endogenous Relationship Between Privatisation and Firm Performance," Economics Series 2005_17, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Fumitoshi Mizutani & Shuji Uranishi, 2010. "Determinants of privatization of public corporations: evidence from the Japanese experience," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 515-535, October.
- Kung, James Kai-sing & Lin, Yi-min, 2007. "The Decline of Township-and-Village Enterprises in China's Economic Transition," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 569-584, April.
- Liu, Guy S. & Sun, Pei & Wing Thye Woo, 2007. "What motivates and constrains politicians to privatize? The case of China," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 81-86, October.
- Liu, Guy S. & Sun, Pei & Woo, Wing Thye, 2006. "The Political Economy of Chinese-Style Privatization: Motives and Constraints," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 2016-2033, December.
- Pei Sun & Kamel Mellahi & Guy Liu, 2011. "Corporate governance failure and contingent political resources in transition economies: A longitudinal case study," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 853-879, December.
- Li, Lixing, 2008. "Employment burden, government ownership and soft budget constraints: Evidence from a Chinese enterprise survey," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 215-229, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.