Fiscal and Monetary Determinants of Inflation in Low-Income Countries: Theory and Evidence from Sub-Saharan Africa-super- †
AbstractThis paper presents a model of fiscal dominance with borrowing constraints and provides new evidence for a large number of Sub-Saharan African countries on the relative importance of fiscal and monetary determinants of inflation. Based on different empirical tests, results show that half of the twenty-two SSA countries were characterised in 1980–2005 by lack of clear anti-inflationary monetary and fiscal policies. The other half of the sample was characterised by either a fiscal-dominant regime, with weak or no response of primary surpluses to public debt, or by consistent adoption of a monetary-dominant regime. Copyright 2011 , Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE) in its journal Journal of African Economies.
Volume (Year): 20 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Phone: +44-(0)1865 271084
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.jae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lledó, Victor & Poplawski-Ribeiro, Marcos, 2013.
"Fiscal Policy Implementation in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
Elsevier, vol. 46(C), pages 79-91.
- Victor Duarte Lledo & Marcos Poplawski-Ribeiro, 2011. "Fiscal Policy Implementation in Sub-Saharan Africa," IMF Working Papers 11/172, International Monetary Fund.
- Carlos Caceres & Marcos Poplawski-Ribeiro & Darlena Tartari, 2013.
"Inflation Dynamics in the CEMAC Region,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 22(2), pages 239-275, March.
- Hamid Reza Davoodi & Shiv Dixit & Gabor Pinter, 2013. "Monetary Transmission Mechanism in the East African Community: An Empirical Investigation," IMF Working Papers 13/39, International Monetary Fund.
- Jaromir Benes & Andrew Berg & Rafael Portillo & Mai Dao & Alfredo Baldini, 2012. "Monetary Policy in Low Income Countries in the Face of the Global Crisis: The Case of Zambia," IMF Working Papers 12/94, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.