Rural development in Europe: a research frontier for agricultural economists
AbstractIn this article it is argued that rural development analysis is a research theme to be developed in Europe for both scientific reasons and its contribution to policy decision making. It begins by describing and analysing what is at stake in significantly extending our profession's interest toward rural economics, understood as the economics of rural areas. We then show that this extension of the field of research has two sides: concern to promote knowledge but also concern to contribute to an economic policy project focused on rural development. Finally, we examine the issues rural development poses for economic research and conclude with some remarks on future research avenues. Copyright 2005, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 32 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gramzow, Andreas, 2009. "Rural development as provision of local public goods: Theory and evidence from Poland," Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Central and Eastern Europe, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO), volume 51, number 92313.
- Martin Pělucha & Dana Viktorová & Zuzana Bednaříková, 2009. "Options for Setting Up An Effective EU Rural Development Policy," Acta Oeconomica Pragensia, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2009(5), pages 53-69.
- Balamou, Eudokia & Pouliaikas, Kostas & Roberts, Deborah & Psaltopoulos, Demetrios, 2008. "Modeling The Rural-Urban Effects Of Changes In Agricultural Policies: A Bi-Regional Cge Analysis Of Two Case Study Regions," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6651, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Ladegard, Gro & Romstad, Eirik, 2010. "Understanding The Demand Side And Coordinating The Supply Side For Connected Goods And Services," APSTRACT: Applied Studies in Agribusiness and Commerce, AGRIMBA, vol. 4.
- Koomen, E., 2011. "Indicators of rural vitality. A GIS-based analysis of socio-economic development of the rural Netherlands," Serie Research Memoranda 0050, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Cicia, Gianni & Colantuoni, Francesca & Del Giudice, Teresa & Pascucci, Stefano, 2011. "Community Supported Agriculture in the Urban Fringe: Empirical Evidence for Project Feasibility in the Metropolitan Area of Naples (Italy)," International Journal on Food System Dynamics, International Center for Management, Communication, and Research, vol. 2(3).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.